Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to take an A Level in Physics (+ Geography and French) as self study with private tutoring I think. I'd love to do these within a year but I realise that would be extremely challenging with having a full time job.

Where do I find the right tutors and will I hindered by not being in a group where they would also conduct practical elements in their subjects?

Any advice on particular exam boards? Is it worth getting hung up on this? Do particular exam boards have better text books out there?

Is 5 hours per subject per week a realistic amount of work/studying to achieve a good grade? I'm after a minimum of BBC.

Many thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeAP)
    Hi, I want to take an A Level in Physics (+ Geography and French) as self study with private tutoring I think. I'd love to do these within a year but I realise that would be extremely challenging with having a full time job.

Where do I find the right tutors and will I hindered by not being in a group where they would also conduct practical elements in their subjects?

Any advice on particular exam boards? Is it worth getting hung up on this? Do particular exam boards have better text books out there?

Is 5 hours per subject per week a realistic amount of work/studying to achieve a good grade? I'm after a minimum of BBC.

Many thanks in advance.
    Hey Luke,

Firstly, congratulations on wanting to do them subjects! Really great of you to be doing them 3. It honestly depends on how you do with self studying. Are you good at self studying? Have you self studied before? Self studying can be difficult for some but can be very easy for others. On the subject of work load, you are going for a hell of a lot; especially with a full time job. For some, 5 hours will be more than enough, however, for some it wouldn't even be close. You've also got to keep in mind that for some of your subjects you need to use the prior knowledge from AS for A2. For example, in physics if you do mechanics then most of the SUVAT equations (along with a lot of other parts) will be needed before you even think of starting A2. My college recommended 4 hours of additional self study on top of the 4 and a half hours of lesson so honestly it's all down to you. For your French A-Level. It would help a lot if you've got prior knowledge of French and if you are good with it already.

On the basis of practical elements. To be honest, when I took my Physics AS Level I understood absolutely nothing to do with the practicals and even though they did show up on my test paper, you can easily revise the practicals without conducting it and you will still be able to get the best mark.

Exam boards are solely up to you. I did OCR and I found it great but it is all based on what you want to do. Check out the content in each exam board, see which one interests you the most, the one that does should be the one you go for. All text books are relatively the same so don't worry about that.

Wishing you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    The best place to start is by studying physics

ReputationRep:
    Hi Immunology

Many thanks for taking the time to write what you did and I'll take your advice on board.

Best,

Luke

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.