Turn on thread page Beta

Is Britain becoming like Sweden in relation to expressing views on mass immigration? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think this video discussion exposes some very real problems of fear and social conditioning which is bringing about a society for whom the pressure to follow certain views on contentious topics is becoming more important than voicing one's honest opinion, and seeking to let oneself be led by the guiding light of objective truth. Orwellian fear of social exclusion and breaking some apparent taboo is contributing to irresponsible immigration policies and the disintegration of Sweden. It's an intelligent discussion so give it a listen. I think it is very pertinent to Britain because I see the same happening here. The hysterical name calling and attempted character assassinations if one dares to disagree on certain topics, which by the way, is underhand and flies in the face of a mature, knowledge seeking spirit of debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    I think this video discussion exposes some very real problems of fear and social conditioning which is bringing about a society for whom the pressure to follow certain views on contentious topics is becoming more important than voicing one's honest opinion, and seeking to let oneself be led by the guiding light of objective truth. Orwellian fear of social exclusion and breaking some apparent taboo is contributing to irresponsible immigration policies and the disintegration of Sweden. It's an intelligent discussion so give it a listen. I think it is very pertinent to Britain because I see the same happening here. The hysterical name calling and attempted character assassinations if one dares to disagree on certain topics, which by the way, is underhand and flies in the face of a mature, knowledge seeking spirit of debate.
    That's a long video. In our society right now, a lot of taboos have been erected around issues such as immigration. The thing is, nobody can be sure what the opinions of the people around them are, so if they have anything negative to say about such issues, they tend to keep it to themselves. Too much to lose and not much to gain by saying anything.

Until enough of the people are seriously affected by the issues they foresee that irresponsible immigration will cause, people won't speak up. In essence, as much as some may foresee the issues that will occur, we will continue to march blindly down this path until things get very bad for enough of us at an individual level. Only then will our attitudes change, when enough people see things with their own eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Alex Jones and his team are frauds they are not even truth seekers just a group of quacks

ReputationRep:
    OP raises a good point
    Talking to people I know both right and more surprisingly left, in confidence are sounding really pissed off with whole thing, including the way it is being portrayed by the media.
    It is like people have been so programmed as to be scared to question immigration and the current situation in particular.
    I have to say that it can give a false perspective of peoples true opinions and it reminds me of when John Major won the election that was thought all sown up by Labour. The poles were way out and later it was realised that to admit to voting tory at that time was really seen as embarrassing. It was only in the privacy of the voting booth that people were honest and major squeezed home.
    It will be interesting to see peoples true feelings on immigration come the EU in out vote.

ReputationRep:
    Sweden's number 1 most popular party is the far right anti immigration party so it seems like these values are gonna change. The UKs very different, everyone dislikes immigration but the government won't do anything. No ones quiet or scared, most people don't give a s**t about what other people think of them.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.siotw.org/news_english.it...er-europe.html

http://swedenreport.org/2015/05/18/p...nes-in-sweden/

If Britain becomes like Sweden I will leave. Sorry, but I have no loyalty for a country that is happy to destroy itself. Either the people stop voting for their own destruction or I will leave before the storm hits. It has already hit Sweden, France, is hitting Germany; if the dumb British population don't wake up now they never will and I will jump ship before it sinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    It will be interesting to see peoples true feelings on immigration come the EU in out vote.
    I guarantee you that come the referendum, we will vote to stay in. There's no way we're getting out. Prepare for the one-sided fear-mongering as we approach the day.

If we vote to get out, message me in 2017 and I'll send you £20, you have my word.

ReputationRep:
    English people are far too meek to go around with a sword executing immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hektik)
    I guarantee you that come the referendum, we will vote to stay in. There's no way we're getting out. Prepare for the one-sided fear-mongering as we approach the day.

If we vote to get out, message me in 2017 and I'll send you £20, you have my word.
    I would be willing to bet £250 myself on an exit.

ReputationRep:
    We are not even close to Sweden thank god. They are gone, dead. Censor and suppress anything that makes immigration look bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Not looking to argue, but from my perspective, it's too good to be true. Just looking at all the pro-EU press now when the referendum is a couple years off, I can only imagine all guns blazing come the time, swaying public opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hektik)
    Not looking to argue, but from my perspective, it's too good to be true. Just looking at all the pro-EU press now when the referendum is a couple years off, I can only imagine all guns blazing come the time, swaying public opinion.
    I'm not looking to argue either, just saying for me I am fairly confident. I think it will be close hence I won't say thousands, but still an exit nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I love immigration, i know many others who do too. Only people who don't are the ones who can't on in life - unemployed, not happy with their own situation and simply want to blame others are largely anti immigration lol. Especially those on benefits #Jeez! #BenefitWarfare

They're taking our council houses LOL when Dave is selling them by the 1000s every month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    I didn't find this remotely "intelligent discussion". It started off terribly, picked up a bit, then just got worse and worse. Only got to 32 mins. Sorry

It was very similar to the way a minority of paranoid Muslims in the West talk about everybody being out to get them, they cannot be free in their religion, that we are entering the likelihood of a second Holocaust, bla bla bla. Basically a ton of strawmen, loads of anecdotes, and astronomical sense of victimhood. But that's paranoid ethnocentric-nationalism for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    Alex Jones and his team are frauds they are not even truth seekers just a group of quacks
    You illustrate exactly what the problem is. Instead of evaluating the argument on merit, you attempt to discredit them as unworthy to even listen to, by calling them "just a bunch of quacks". Thanks for demonstrating that. Are you including, the former refugee, guest speaker from the Balkans too? Is he a "quack"? I found him very intelligent, calm and articulate.
    To be an independent thinker is to listen then evaluate whether the argument has any truth to it. It seems you think the voice of dissent is a voice to be silenced?

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad UKIP allow us to even debate immigration and say the word at least. The Tories and especially Labour made it a word you dare say to suit their political correctness agenda.

The left are the reason this country is slowly dying. They and Labour have done more damage than Hitler ever could. Labour's 13 years has seen this nation change into something else and the Tories have done little to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    I didn't find this remotely "intelligent discussion". It started off terribly, picked up a bit, then just got worse and worse. Only got to 32 mins. Sorry

It was very similar to the way a minority of paranoid Muslims in the West talk about everybody being out to get them, they cannot be free in their religion, that we are entering the likelihood of a second Holocaust, bla bla bla. Basically a ton of strawmen, loads of anecdotes, and astronomical sense of victimhood. But that's paranoid ethnocentric-nationalism for you.
    So your response is too make a list of discrediting generalisations. They are discussing a social phenomenon that is happening. You direct your efforts, it seems, to make out they are merely paranoid bigots. Exactly the point raised in the video discussion. You have no inclination to actually address the points of the argument they are making. You only try and denounce the people with lazy, loaded generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    I would put my life on the line for the vote being to stay

You must understand the British public are cowards. Come the campaign, all we will hear is Labour, Tories, SNP, Lib dems and on and on say "if we leave you will lose you job, your pension, wages will slump, trade will decrease and inflation will increase". They will say this without any evidence and their business friends (who all wanted to join the Euro 10 years ago) will say the same thing because cheap Labour and driving down of wages is great for them.

Once people hear this, out of fear they will vote to stay. They are scared of stepping into the unknown. Fear controls politics now. We have the establishment and the EU funding a stay campaign. The leave campaign stands no chance. I predict an 85% 15%(these will be the UKIP voters) split.

Tory voters lack spine to vote to leave. Labour voters will most likely vote to stay and I do not need to say anything about SNP, lib dem, Green voters.

These non-UKIP voters will shout their discontent for the EU now but come the referendum they will have Cameron or Corbyn or Farron or Sturgeon in their ear dictating their vote.

This is a battle we can not win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    I am so glad UKIP allow us to even debate immigration and say the word at least. The Tories and especially Labour made it a word you dare say to suit their political correctness agenda.
    What complete nonsense. Immigration is discussed openly by both Labour and Conservative, with Conservative (and lesser extend Labour) talking tough on immigration on nearly a daily basis.

You must be living in a cave with your only news source being your local UKIP newsletter with it's ramblings of "Only UKIP can challenge Labour and the Tories on immigration".......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    What complete nonsense. Immigration is discussed openly by both Labour and Conservative, with Conservative (and lesser extend Labour) talking tough on immigration on nearly a daily basis.

You must be living in a cave with your only news source being your local UKIP newsletter with it's ramblings of "Only UKIP can challenge Labour and the Tories on immigration".......
    Clearly you were not around say 6 years ago where something like immigration was rarely touched upon because of political correctness and a smear campaign against anyone who mentioned it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.