• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Solve
    x^7 -7x^6 -21x^5 + 35x^4 + 35x^3-21x^2 -7x +1 =0
    Find all of the roots? One root isn't too hard to spot.

Are you sure you've got all the signs correct? And where did you get the question from?

ReputationRep:
    Solve
    x^7 -7x^6 -21x^5 + 35x^4 + 35x^3-21x^2 -7x +1 =0

look for an obvious solution

divide it out/factor out

divide the equation by x3

then there is a standard substitution that will reduce it to a cubic ...

or preferably think complex numbers

EDITED
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    divide the equation by x4

then there is a standard substitution that will reduce it to a cubic ...

or preferably think complex numbers
    Ah yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Ah yes.
    it looks like a binomial expansion but the pattern ++--++-- etc indicates powers of i

I leave it with you as I did not see your initial comment to the OP and I am busy doing work

ReputationRep:
    X^6-8x^5-13x^4+48x^3-13x^2-8x+1
    X7=8.87525

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    it looks like a binomial expansion but the pattern ++--++-- etc indicates powers of i

I leave it with you as I did not see your initial comment to the OP and I am busy doing work
    I'm going to bed

Off subject, I'm never allowed to rep you for some reason. I owe you a lot of rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    I'm going to bed

Off subject, I'm never allowed to rep you for some reason. I owe you a lot of rep!
    no worries.

(I can always rep because I tend to be to generous with it, as I rep at least 20 posts /regular helpers every day... I am not quite sure what is the number but you cannot rep the same person again until you rep others(?) exactly how many I do not know)

ReputationRep:
    I do have the answers. With the general solution being x=tan(nπ/7 + π/28)
    I was just seeing the different ways that people suggest to go about this question

ReputationRep:
    I was just seeing the different ways that people suggest to go about this question
    see my edited post then

I will write a full solution and post it later (using complex numbers)

ReputationRep:
    Given the general solution it's pretty clear how to solve this in about 4 lines, but I'm not sure I'd have spotted it without some hint that trig-type solutions were going to come in.

Edit: (actually, I think I would have done, but I'd have basically gone about 8 lines into doing it one way and then started again...)

ReputationRep:
    As you posted this as a challenge to us and not actually not actually requiring help, here is my solution to a very standard type equation, which I hope other students might find of interest.

(your question will now found itself condemned into the abyss of my own resources ...)
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Given the general solution it's pretty clear how to solve this in about 4 lines, but I'm not sure I'd have spotted it without some hint that trig-type solutions were going to come in.

Edit: (actually, I think I would have done, but I'd have basically gone about 8 lines into doing it one way and then started again...)
    As TeeEm spotted earlier, the coefficients are basically row 7 of Pascal's triangle BUT the pattern of signs suggests there's going to have to be some 'fiddling' to get it to work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    As TeeEm spotted earlier, the coefficients are basically row 7 of Pascal's triangle BUT the pattern of signs suggests there's going to have to be some 'fiddling' to get it to work out.
    That's the point. If the coefficients were randomly chosen and were not patterns of the Pascal's triangle then the way to find the roots would be completely different. I just posted this to see how others recognise this fact and then how people go about solving it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    That's the point. If the coefficients were randomly chosen and were not patterns of the Pascal's triangle then the way to find the roots would be completely different. I just posted this to see how others recognise this fact and then how people go about solving it.
    If the coefficients were 'randomly chosen' then the way to find the roots exactly would be non-existent because degree-7 polynomials aren't soluble by radicals! Of course, you could use numerical methods to approximate the roots to any required degree of accuracy, but then you don't have a particularly attractive problem any more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    As you posted this as a challenge to us and not actually not actually requiring help, here is my solution to a very standard type equation, which I hope other students might find of interest.

(your question will now found itself condemned into the abyss of my own resources ...)
    You have beautiful handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    You have beautiful handwriting.
    I wish some of my students could see this comment as most complain about it, and in particular that I write in capitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I wish some of my students could see as most complain about it, and in articular that I write in capitals.
    If x = 1,-1 is a root to a polynomial that long, then is i or i^2 also a root?

Those students tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    If x = 1,-1 is a root to a polynomial that long, then is i or i^2 also a root?

Those students tho
    x=-1 is a solution, x=1 is not

if the coefficients are real then any complex roots will appear in conjugate pairs but this has 7 real solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    x=-1 is a solution, x=1 is not

if the coefficients are real then any complex roots will appear in conjugate pairs but this has 7 real solutions
    I was talking in general for a polynomial with a high degree, not in this particular case, sorry ifI was vague

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.