Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do your GCSE's matter THAT much if you A-Levels are really good? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest. My GCSE's weren't THAT good. I got 2 C's (English), 1 A (I.T), and the rest all B's.
    Im in my first year of A-levels now and want to do REALLY well so my A-Level results overshadow my not-so-good GCSE's.
    I plan to go into career in the medical field but if Universities see that my A-Levels are like A-A-A will they mind that my GCSE's aren't so good?
    Thanks

(Current studying: Bio, Chem, Psych, I.T)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAbbas)
    I'll be honest. My GCSE's weren't THAT good. I got 2 C's (English), 1 A (I.T), and the rest all B's.
    Im in my first year of A-levels now and want to do REALLY well so my A-Level results overshadow my not-so-good GCSE's.
    I plan to go into career in the medical field but if Universities see that my A-Levels are like A-A-A will they mind that my GCSE's aren't so good?
    Thanks

It depends on where you apply, some are fairly GCSE heavy. Most med schools require GCSE English to at least grade B, so if you can, resit in your AS year so you can put it on your UCAS application next year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Firstly, A levels are a lot harder than GCSEs - so if you struggled with GCSEs, you'll likely struggle with A levels unfortunately. If you feel like you didn't work as hard as you could have for GCSEs, though, then AAA is a possibility.

But medicine is extremely competitive. Some medical schools look at GCSEs more than others, so you'll have to pick them very carefully (and do a really good PS, get great AS level results, do really well on the BMAT/UKCAT etc.). Even the medical schools that don't look at GCSEs too much will use them as a distinguishing factor to some extent - it's so ridiculously competitive that there will be more applicants than there are spaces with great A level results, so those with better GCSEs may have a better chance.

Don't let this put you off though - if you do really well in your AS levels, entrance exams etc., and choose where you apply to carefully, you have a good chance. But do be aware that you're looking at what is almost definitely the most competitive undergraduate course, so if AS levels go badly, you may want to consider doing a different degree and then graduate entry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I feel you. My GCSE's were awful too and I am in the process of applying for medicine. A-Levels are a lot, lot harder than GCSE's but somehow I managed to get the clean sweep of AAAA in my AS Levels. You might need to resit GCSE English though if you're wanting to do Medicine as most of them require a minimum of B in language. Universities like Leeds accept either 10 A*'s at GCSE I think it was OR 4 A's at AS level to get the full marks on the academic section. You don't need both. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    no they don't unless you're applying to do medicine at any university or if you're applying to oxford, LSE, or imperial. even cambridge don't really care that much about GCSE grades. focus on getting three A/A*s at AL.

ReputationRep:
    In general, not really. Most university courses will demand a grade C in maths and English, sometimes a grade B in both or one of the 2.

However, as others have said, Medicine for A level is one of the most competitive courses out there, so good GCSE grades will give you a slightly better chance.

ReputationRep:
    Some courses like to see consistency throughout your education.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.