Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When you're trying to show that a function is continuous at a point x, and you use the definition.

Will delta always be min(1, 'and something') ?

I'm doing a Q and I've nearly finished it: I've got to d(6+d) <=e (this is correct from solutions)

d= delta
    e= epsilon

Then in solution it say put delta min(1, e/7)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vorsah)
    When you're trying to show that a function is continuous at a point x, and you use the definition.

I'm doing a Q and I've nearly finished it: I've got to d(6+d) <=e (this is correct from solutions)

d= delta
    e= epsilon

Then in solution it say put delta min(1, e/7)
    Nooooo... Seems like you don't quite understand it yet. It must have been just one example where they used min(1, smth). Delta depends on function and epsilon usually. Minimum ( let alone of 1 and smth ) is nothing universal.

ReputationRep:

No, every question is different. However...

There's a really common tactic with questions like this: you want to get to a simple inequality relating d and e, basically simple enough that you can easily "invert it" to say "so if d < {stuff}, then |f(x+d) - f(x)| < e". And conceptually[, you're thinking of e and d as being very small quantities.

So you want to be able to say "d is small, so 6+d < 7, so d(6+d) < 7d, so if 7d < e, we're good, so we need d < e/7"

And this is fine, and this is in fact the correct "main" argument - it says what happens when epsilon is small, which is what this is all really about.

The only problem is, if epsilon is large (in this case, if e > 7) , you find the argument doesn't force d < 1, and then your claim that 6+d > 7 isn't true.

So to cover this, you need to be a little more careful. Something like:

As long as d < 1 (*), 6+d < 7, so d(6+d) < 7d ..., so we need d < e/7.
    To ensure (*) holds, we also require d < 1, and so d < min(1, e/7).

So doing something like this is very common, but it should be a natural part of your argument, not something you "just do without knowing why".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    No, every question is different. However...

There's a really common tactic with questions like this: you want to get to a simple inequality relating d and e, basically simple enough that you can easily "invert it" to say "so if d < {stuff}, then |f(x+d) - f(x)| < e". And conceptually[, you're thinking of e and d as being very small quantities.

So you want to be able to say "d is small, so 6+d < 7, so d(6+d) < 7d, so if 7d < e, we're good, so we need d < e/7"

And this is fine, and this is in fact the correct "main" argument - it says what happens when epsilon is small, which is what this is all really about.

The only problem is, if epsilon is large (in this case, if e > 7) , you find the argument doesn't force d < 1, and then your claim that 6+d > 7 isn't true.

So to cover this, you need to be a little more careful. Something like:

As long as d < 1 (*), 6+d < 7, so d(6+d) < 7d ..., so we need d < e/7.
    To ensure (*) holds, we also require d < 1, and so d < min(1, e/7).

So doing something like this is very common, but it should be a natural part of your argument, not something you "just do without knowing why".
    My friend did this Q a different way compared to the solutions. He assumed d<1 at the start and then manipulated the inequalities and got the same answer. Is his approach where he assumed d<1 at the start correct?

E.g if we had |x-3|<d, assume d<1 then |x-3|<1 and from here he carried on.

ReputationRep:
    My friend did this Q a different way compared to the solutions. He assumed d<1 at the start and then manipulated the inequalities and got the same answer. Is his approach where he assumed d<1 at the start correct?
    Yes this is fine; strictly speaking you need to make sure your final choice for d satsifies any assumptions you made along the way (i.e. at the end you'd still have a "d < min(1, ...)" type condition to ensure that d < 1).

As I said in the previous post, the "main" argument is about what happens when e, d are very small, and so as time goes on (and you've proved you can do it "properly") you may find your lecturers/examiners find it acceptable not to worry about the" extra" conditions (such as "d < 1") - a simple "for d sufficiently small" may suffice.

(e.g. for your problem you might write something like:

"for d sufficiently small, 6+d < 7 and so d(6+d) < 7d, and so d < e/7 works").

But from what you've posted it's clear your examiners currently expect those extra conditions to be included.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.