Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I make him get the hint that I'm not interested AT ALL? watch

Announcements

My friend texted me a few days ago saying that he started to develop feelings for me, I politely told him that I wasn't interested in him and had feelings for someone else. He seemed alright about it but since then he's been texting me asking to meet up for breakfast (I'm at uni), lunch and even invited me to dinner. I met up with him for lunch because I had nothing else to do and thought that since I'd told him I wasn't interested he just wanted to go as friends. Boy was I wrong.

He insisted that he'll pay for my food and said he 'couldn't let a girl pay' when he invited her out to lunch. I didn't let him pay though, I told him that I didn't feel comfortable with someone else paying for my own food.

Along with that, he sends winky faces in texts and keeps saying that we are really similar and have similar interests. I honestly don't want to lead him onto thinking that he has a chance because I'm not attracted to him, he's a nice guy but not my type.

Anyone got any tips that'll make him understand that I'm not interested?

ReputationRep:
    just reiterate you are not interested and then just ignore his texts

ReputationRep:
    "Sorry but I am not interested in you"
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Agreed with the two above posts. I also wouldn't go out with him for meals. Whilst I sometimes go out for lunch with male friends of mine, we are both aware it's just that and there are no feelings at all. Whereas in this situation, (been there and done that) I wouldn't be comfortable at all as he will get the wrong idea.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate. There is a guy at work that keeps flirting with me and insisting on us going out to dinner. He jokily asked me to marry him the other day and now he keeps calling me his fiancé etc. I have told him I don't like him as more than a friend (this was ages ago, I thought he was over it). But I found myself having to tell him again via text last night and he said he gets it. However I know this isn't the end, its been going on for years. I think the best thing is to just take a step back and refrain from responding to his messages where possible without being rude. Hopefully he gets it soon enough.

(Original post by georgiaswift)
    "Sorry but I am not interested in you"
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I politely told him that I wasn't interested in him and had feelings for someone else.

(Original post by phunky_fresh)
    I can relate. There is a guy at work that keeps flirting with me and insisting on us going out to dinner. He jokily asked me to marry him the other day and now he keeps calling me his fiancé etc. I have told him I don't like him as more than a friend (this was ages ago, I thought he was over it). But I found myself having to tell him again via text last night and he said he gets it. However I know this isn't the end, its been going on for years. I think the best thing is to just take a step back and refrain from responding to his messages where possible without being rude. Hopefully he gets it soon enough.
    I hate it when guys 'jokingly' do things like it's so obvious they have feelings for you. I have stopped replying so frequently so he knows that I'm not that interested in continuing a conversation with him. I hope he gets it soon too :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the point, you haven't been blunt enough. Straight up say 'I'm sorry but I'm not interested in you and you need to stop bothering me'. Then if he continues, block his number etc

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when guys 'jokingly' do things like it's so obvious they have feelings for you. I have stopped replying so frequently so he knows that I'm not that interested in continuing a conversation with him. I hope he gets it soon too :/
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Yeah that's the point, you haven't been blunt enough. Straight up say 'I'm sorry but I'm not interested in you and you need to stop bothering me'. Then if he continues, block his number etc
    ^^
    Ooh yeah one of my guy friends said that the way I turned him down the first time left him with a little bit of hope. When he told me how he felt years ago I said I was seeing someone else, so I guess in his eyes he still had a chance. The second time (after talking to my friend) I said I didn't like him and that would never change, he backed off after this for months on end. Its only recently we've started to interact more and he's started messaging me. Bluntness does work wonders, thanks for reminding me of this Georgiaswift!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.