Turn on thread page Beta

the future of my education, unsure, what do you think? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is how it is with me.

I applied to do maths at Sheffield (ABB) and Edinburgh (ABC). I expect to achieve my A in maths, however I am very doubtful to achieving a B in physics, so that is most likely to be a C, or even a D in the worst case scenario. My other subject is Biology, which I am 25% thinking I will get a B, but 75% thinking I will get a C.

My dilemma is, I have only visited Sheffield University and would really like to go there. Also, my school only offered me the opportunity to do basic maths. So I have only completed P1,P2,P3,M1,M2,S1. When going to university I am expecting them to start off with far more complicated subjects, which will have been taught extensively in further maths.

So these are the options:

a) I get ABC, get accepted to Sheffield (They often accept this I hear). Do I stay back another year at my sixth form college and repeat the year in physics and do double maths so in turn I gain a full A-level in further maths (hopefully getting an A) and perhaps upgrade my C in physics to a B.

b) I get ACC, which means I dont fulfill any of my offers. I don't want to go through clearing so I will most likely stay behind for another year.

Dont get me wrong I want to go to university, I just feel a bit underprepared having not done further maths. When I look at it, it looks really complicated (it always does) but If I were to learn this I would feel on a level playing field with most students.

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hey, this is how it is with me.

I applied to do maths at Sheffield (ABB) and Edinburgh (ABC). I expect to achieve my A in maths, however I am very doubtful to achieving a B in physics, so that is most likely to be a C, or even a D in the worst case scenario. My other subject is Biology, which I am 25% thinking I will get a B, but 75% thinking I will get a C.

My dilemma is, I have only visited Sheffield University and would really like to go there. Also, my school only offered me the opportunity to do basic maths. So I have only completed P1,P2,P3,M1,M2,S1. When going to university I am expecting them to start off with far more complicated subjects, which will have been taught extensively in further maths.

So these are the options:

a) I get ABC, get accepted to Sheffield (They often accept this I hear). Do I stay back another year at my sixth form college and repeat the year in physics and do double maths so in turn I gain a full A-level in further maths (hopefully getting an A) and perhaps upgrade my C in physics to a B.

b) I get ACC, which means I dont fulfill any of my offers. I don't want to go through clearing so I will most likely stay behind for another year.

Dont get me wrong I want to go to university, I just feel a bit underprepared having not done further maths. When I look at it, it looks really complicated (it always does) but If I were to learn this I would feel on a level playing field with most students.

What are your opinions?

Unversities can't kick off at such a quick rate that they blow away students who don't have further maths, as many establishments, particularly school 6th forms, don't have the staff, the pupil interest, or indeed the texts (especially the Pure) to warrant teaching Further.

Thus although Further Mathematicians have an advantage of being able to say that a certain topic looks familiar or they have heard of something that gets mentioned already, they will still have to do the work, as they have still had, at the least, a whole summer of not doing it, and may be at best, rusty.

Don't feel daunted. The admissions proceedure at Sheffield, and I know because I hold Sheffield as firm, is that they won't descriminate against you if you don't have Further, for the reasons stated above. And so this has to be reflected in their teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Its only the very best universities which further maths is required. I don't mean to say your unis arent good cos they are but you wont be at a disadvantage without further maths. However you may find it useful to look at some topics covered in some detail eg complex numbers hyperbolics further calculus just to get a feel for what its like...

Also dont worry about your grades cos theres nothing you can do now, and im sure youve done better than you think and will be pleasantlly surprised come results day. The most important one is maths and you seem pretty confident in an A (despite the horrific P3!!) so i recon you'll be fine

sort of contradicting wot i just sed but no university requires you to have done further maths not even oxbridge, and they dont expect you to know it so will teach as if you havent done it. You may find yourself catching up a bit in the first term or so but before long you'll be level with everyone. The most important thing is that you are good at and enjoy maths which you are so youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    Its only the very best universities which further maths is required. I don't mean to say your unis arent good cos they are but you wont be at a disadvantage without further maths. However you may find it useful to look at some topics covered in some detail eg complex numbers hyperbolics further calculus just to get a feel for what its like...

Also dont worry about your grades cos theres nothing you can do now, and im sure youve done better than you think and will be pleasantlly surprised come results day. The most important one is maths and you seem pretty confident in an A (despite the horrific P3!!) so i recon you'll be fine
    Oxford: "Further Maths is recommended but is not Essential"

Cambridge: "You need either a single or, preferably (if it is available at your school), double GCE A level mathematics or an equivalent qualification."

Warwick: "Along with a grade A in A level Mathematics, the offer typically requires a grade 2 in an Advanced Extension Award or STEP paper, or a grade A in Further Mathematics at A or AS Level."

As I said before, Universities, cannot discriminate. I have not yet seen anywhere where it is "Required".

ReputationRep:
    yeah sorry while you were posting i edited my post.

ReputationRep:
    im in practically the same position as you. ive only done a level maths and although i expect to get my a in that im doubtful about the rest. i am absolutly crapping myself at the thought of not being able to do the maths when i get to uni. so am considering staying at home and doing further maths if i dont get it. i also refuse to go through clearing unless it is to a different course at durham.

although they did say that i wont be at a disadvantage due to the lack of further maths, because the course is designed for those who have sat single maths so they teach further maths as part of the first year - its still very worrying.

you may as well wait to see what happends.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard whether or not Edinburgh could accept you if you missed a grade? I mean there's always a chance that you still could get in with ACC. So don't give up, and ring up your insurance straight away. Try talking to anyone who has been or goes to that uni for your chosen course, and talk to them about whether there's a chance that they'd accept you.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the information and advice guys/girls. Glad to see somebody is in the same boat as me as well! I guess it all boils down to that lovely day of the 14th August.

Ad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Cheers for the information and advice guys/girls. Glad to see somebody is in the same boat as me as well! I guess it all boils down to that lovely day of the 14th August.

Ad
    ahhhhhhhhhh! its not exactly far away either now!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh hhh. thanks Katy for reminding me that we have 2 weeks and 2 days till our future is decided. I'm sooooooooooooooo scared. Sorry bout reminding people if they don't want to be reminded of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh hhh. thanks Katy for reminding me that we have 2 weeks and 2 days till our future is decided. I'm sooooooooooooooo scared. Sorry bout reminding people if they don't want to be reminded of the day.
    maybee if i hide under my duvet long enough, it'll all go away!!

but saying that id prob get hungry/ too hot in about 10 mins. mayb thats not such a good idea!

love Katy ***

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2003
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.