Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can you say that men are "privileged"? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why should men have to "check their privilege" when their suicide and homelessness rate is far higher than women's? What kind of privilege is it to want to kill yourself, or to live on the streets?

I'm not interested in how feminism claims to want to help men by taking the pressure off them. This is specifically concerning how feminists claim men are supposed to be privileged. I will not take the former claim seriously until they explain the latter claim.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I find it funny when a university-educated, middle-class woman in a well-paid graduate job claims that men are supposedly "privileged". How exactly is a poor, working-class man supposedly more "privileged" than she is?

Reminds me of this picture, tbh, immature though it may be:

ReputationRep:
    The prevalence and tolerance of modern feminism on the whole is a testament to the fact that the patriarchy doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Both sexes have their perks and privileges. Women have the benefit of getting away with things men typically won't, particularly sexual offenses, for instance. They have more access to scholarships, despite outperforming men in education. They are appointed to positions in government, business and education by virtue of their gender. Contrary to popular belief, women actually have a big hiring advantage in industry now. They also have more reproductive rights and child custody rights, and they are less likely to be victims of most crime and are less likely to be homeless, but still receive the most sympathy, protection and social/charitable support.

And male privileges would include, err... I guess supposedly being paid more? Which would be illegal, though. Or perhaps more of us being politicians, professional athletes and business executives, despite 99% of us not being those things. Erm, what else... Oh! I won't get 'slut shamed' if I walk around half-naked and sleep with a bunch of girls I just met. Yup, it's great to be a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Both sexes have their perks and privileges. Women have the benefit of getting away with things men typically won't, particularly sexual offenses, for instance. They have more access to scholarships, despite outperforming men in education. They are appointed to positions in government, business and education by virtue of their gender. Contrary to popular belief, women actually have a big hiring advantage in industry now. They also have more reproductive rights and child custody rights, and they are less likely to be victims of most crime and are less likely to be homeless, but still receive the most sympathy, protection and social/charitable support.

And male privileges would include, err... I guess supposedly being paid more? Which would be illegal, though. Or perhaps more of us being politicians, professional athletes and business executives, despite 99% of us not being those things. Erm, what else... Oh! I won't get 'slut shamed' if I walk around half-naked and sleep with a bunch of girls I just met. Yup, it's great to be a man.
    Tbh, I think "slut-shaming" is one of the few feminist causes I actually support. However, a lot of the feminist anti-"objectfication" stuff often seems loaded with a kind of backhanded, sly form of slut-shaming where they disregard the autonomy, intelligence, and moral integrity of women who make money from being sexually provocative.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.