Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

im applying to uni for 2016 to do midwifery
    i know it will be really hard with a (then 4 year old who will have just started primary)

but can it be done?
    im crapping my pants as iv still got to move house before then as obviously cant live in student accommodation
    and iv got to get a car to make it easier
    will i get student finance towards housing?

thanks
    worried 25 year old mum

ReputationRep:
    You might need to look into childcare during unsocial working hours. From the experience of a relative (who did a nursing degree as a single parent with two school-age kids) no account is taken of your family commitments. You can be given a placement which is a commute away and you may be expected to perform early, late or overnight shifts. This mimics your future working life. My relative was lucky, in that she had two sisters and her mother living locally, who were a massive help with childcare. But she couldn't have done it without that support.

Get an idea of your basic Student Finance entitlement by using the official SF calculator here:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

With some top-ups from the NHS:
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...ifery-courses/

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned by the pp, midwifery training and placements reflect the eventual working patterns and conditions. Your placement hours and sites will vary. You should ensure that you have the available childcare to meet the requirements of your chosen course.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Depending on your household income you would get an NHS bursary, which would potentially include dependants allowance and a childcare allowance (up to a max of 85% of your childcare costs get covered so i m told), you can then get a loan of i think £2300 on top of that.
    I would say that as Klix88 says, you d need childcare for out of school hours, it would vary from course to course but your holidays might not match the school holidays and you would end up doing nights and earlies at some point.

ReputationRep:
    I will have child care as will have parents sister daughters family that's no issue at all

It's more money I'm worried about and some where to live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieohenay)
    I will have child care as will have parents sister daughters family that's no issue at all

It's more money I'm worried about and some where to live
    The Student Finance Maintenance Loan and the NHS will be your only funding - use the links in my post above to see how much you'll get. Your uni may offer a bursary for low income households, but not sure whether that will apply to students with NHS funding - check your uni's website. Many students have to work part-time to support themselves at uni, but from what I've seen, that doesn't appear to be possible for students on medical degrees.

You will be expected to pay your rent and all bills from your funding. No account is taken of your outgoings, the cost of rent etc. Most students can't afford to rent somewhere just for themselves and tend to go into shared accommodation. This may not be an option with a child. Your uni may offer family accommodation at a cheaper rent than the local market, but you may not be guaranteed a place if they have it. Contact them to find out, or check their website for the basic info.

ReputationRep:
    You should be entitled to housing benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieohenay)
    Hello

im applying to uni for 2016 to do midwifery
    i know it will be really hard with a (then 4 year old who will have just started primary)

but can it be done?
    im crapping my pants as iv still got to move house before then as obviously cant live in student accommodation
    and iv got to get a car to make it easier
    will i get student finance towards housing?

thanks
    worried 25 year old mum
    My university has access to family accommodation so ask! Student finance will not help towards housing. However, you should be able to claim housing benefit, and many universities give bursaries to low income families for things like this. So my advice is ask! You will get help with child care if they go to a registered childminder/club up to 85% of the costs covered. Good luck!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.