Turn on thread page Beta

Being proud of your country watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you think being proud of your country is a good or bad thing, is it even possible?

Personally I see it as, you should be proud of your countries accomplishments while you are a part of it, since you in some way will have contributed to it.

I also think being proud of ones country will lead to a being society overall that emphasizes progress for the sake of the people rather than ones self.

ReputationRep:
    Im so bored with our troops its just not true. The beery blokey-blokes spout out the same grey lumpen old rhetoric every ****ing year when they're not jumping on whatever sporting bandwagon is doing the rounds this week. The nationalist game really is getting ****ing stale and boring now, theres no reason why you can't identify and share a bond with someone from another race. In fact the probably greatest threats to your wellbeing come from those who are supposed to be among your own kind.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure but, are you saying I was promoting racism? I was more saying that you can be proud of your country without having to have been born there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not proud of the country I live in. I say "live in" and not "my" country. I don't want anything to do with this country's appalling history and have no connection to any of it today. The sports teams, football, cricket and rugby are useless players. The UK entries to the Eurovision is rubbish every year. No one even likes/loves their government or PM but backs them in times of illegal war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueBlossom)
    No I'm not proud of the country I live in. I say "live in" and not "my" country. I don't want anything to do with this country's appalling history and have no connection to any of it today. The sports teams, football, cricket and rugby are useless players. The UK entries to the Eurovision is rubbish every year. No one even likes/loves their government or PM but backs them in times of illegal war.
    I think that the British history is one of the more moral, at least its modern history

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with having an appreciation for your country's history, culture and all the positive things it has contributed to the world. But when people adamantly talk about "their country" as if they are somehow partly responsible for all the great accomplishments of other individuals, and/or blindly hold their country up as unchallengeable and incredible in every way (mostly Americans) then it gets a bit sad. Kind of like die hard sports fans who live vicariously through their team and constantly refer to it as "we", even though they have done nothing for it.

ReputationRep:
    There are certain aspects of this country I like. I don't believe in the concept of 'immigrants coming to this country taking our jobs' etc. I see the UK as lines on a map. There are nice people all over the world. I was really proud when we were hosting the Olympics. And I'm always proud of our soldiers. I hate politicians but there are some good eggs in that crowd. I'm really proud of our athletes, we are fantastic at sports.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I be proud of an accident at birth?

Pride should stem from one's exceptional achievements, not run-of-the mill ones or things they have no control over.

ReputationRep:
    Well people today are still being made to feel guilty for colonialism/slavery etc, we may as well feel proud of its accomplishments as well, two way street and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I am very proud of my country, I love my queen and armed forces and would fight for them if it was asked of me.

You would never hear a left winger say that. They come out with rubbish like "We are all human, there are no borders, we should be proud earthlings"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)

Pride should stem from one's exceptional achievements, not run-of-the mill ones or things they have no control over.
    You didnt read my post, I was saying that being proud of what your country does while you are part of it is worthy of beind proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    England ftw.

bear™ has a deep deep love for his country; our culture and traditions are second to none. OK we ****ed up recently with wasteman Labour governments but now we are back on track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    You didnt read my post, I was saying that being proud of what your country does while you are part of it is worthy of beind proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    More room for debate, but I'd still say no on a personal level - my only contribution towards it is putting a cross in a box. We can be proud collectively, but I'm not going to mouth off to an American about how I'm personally proud of societal progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    Do you think being proud of your country is a good or bad thing, is it even possible?

Personally I see it as, you should be proud of your countries accomplishments while you are a part of it, since you in some way will have contributed to it.

I also think being proud of ones country will lead to a being society overall that emphasizes progress for the sake of the people rather than ones self.
    I don't see how it is possible to be proud of one's country. A country does not achieve things, individuals do: countries and nation-states are figments of our collective imagination.

We should praise society as a whole when it makes progress, as you allude to, in order to promote collectivism as opposed to individualism, but that's only an instrumental reason to be proud of "your country". It's also an instrumental reason to be proud of your planet, or your universe, too. And, unlike nations, the universe and planets would still exist regardless of whether humans existed or not.

(Original post by Gears265)
    They come out with rubbish like "We are all human, there are no borders, we should be proud earthlings"
    So we aren't human, borders would exist even if we didn't exist and we don't reside on Earth? Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    I don't see how it is possible to be proud of one's country. A country does not achieve things, individuals do: countries and nation-states are figments of our collective imagination.
    What is government funding, taxes and roads? Roads would not exist without the society in one's country. Just because a government or nation-state is only there through Human thought and is not there by natural law doesn't make it any less useful, would you say that maths isn't real, just because we can only think it and it doesn't take a physical form in terms of numbers. What about speach? is speach real? i mean we just imagine certain sounds mean something, they could mean anything.

You see when you go this road of "if humans made it up it doesn't into real life" then you open a can of worms because Humans have made up LOADS of stuff that isn't "real" or in our thoughts or imagination. Out thoughts and imagination are very much real and they shouldn't be disregarded because you can't see them physically.

We should praise society as a whole when it makes progress, as you allude to, in order to promote collectivism as opposed to individualism, but that's only an instrumental reason to be proud of "your country". It's also an instrumental reason to be proud of your planet, or your universe, too. And, unlike nations, the universe and planets would still exist regardless of whether humans existed or not.
    Because different societies make different progress and different groups of people want different things, thus Nations decide to collect a group of peoples ideas from an area and focus on those developments that will help that group. Nations are essential for our race and

I'm sorry but your "borders/nations wouldn't exist without humans" argument is bull****, without humans nations would still exist, animal kingdoms and territory would still exist, certain plants would only grow in certain areas and would take over other areas thus having their own territory and "nation". Rivers, mountains and deserts would be borders just like they are today and have been for nations and empires in the world for millions of years.

NB. Please stop trying to be edgy saying "but i can see past all these things that other people can't, i can see that nations are all just one big lie" No it's just that other people have thought about this and concluded "no, nations are good, they are real and they certainly would exist without us".

ReputationRep:
    Be proud of your nation, just don't pronounce it in a way that'll get a bunch of supremacists drunk and hating on others.

ReputationRep:
    It probbaly has it;s basis in the human instinct to look out for each other and the group. You know, the same bit that can induce left wing political views in people. Lefties make fun of patriotism at your peril. It can come from a good place (or not, as history has shows so many times)

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud to be a part of this country, the same way I'm proud to be related to military veterans. While it's not part of my accomplishments, it's part of my history and ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tri-national and have UK, US, and Canadian citizenships. I'm proud of all of "my countries" - each for different things - but at the same time realise that none of them are perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)

This is such a dumb argument and yet it is the most common for this question. Being born in a certain geographical location is not an accident and nor are the parents who make you. Why? Because you would not be you without being produced by those specific people in that specific environment.

Why should you be proud of your nation? A nation is a collection of people working together towards the goal of furthering each other's interests. If you don't have pride and a desire to support your nation you either become apathetic or destructive towards your people. If you don't care about the past efforts of your people throughout history then you simply repeat their mistakes.

At any rate, we should all feel pride in being British. We have a rich history of monarchs, art, innovation and freedom. A lot of it started on our isles by our people.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.