Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lack of respect for adolescents watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to start off by saying that I am 19 years of age but probably look around 16 so that probably has an influence on what i'm going to discuss.

Basically, I'm tired of being treated like rubbish. Adults do not give people my age the respect that we deserve! I have lost count of the number of times i've been walked over or not taken seriously when discussing a particular topic. I can provide some examples of my personal experiences to outline the kind of things I am thinking on:

Example 1 - The thought for this thread came about as a result of a snappy flight attendant yesterday - now, I know this is trivial but I thought it was worth a mention. Basically, I fly once a month so I am aware of the procedures. I had bought a bag of snacks to eat before the flight. I board my plane and go up to the emergency exit row (which I paid for) and I try and ask the flight attendant about keeping the bag down and before I even finish my sentence she snaps "bag, up", then I try and speak again and she says "bag, up" and again to which she snaps "BAG, UP NOW!". Note: she gave a woman down her handbag so this is clearly discrimination. After take off, I take my bag down and I sit down and before I can start eating she tells me that I have to put it under my seat, then she tells me to show my boarding pass to prove I paid for that seat. I must say that I am angry at the way that flight attendant handled the situation, I paid £100 for that flight with my own money, I deserve to get the same treatment as any other paying passenger. I think the situation is a good example of how mature adults judge young adults before we even speak. Basically this woman took one look at me and decided that I was going to be a pain without even speaking to me or knowing my personal life.

Example 2 - I've just moved to Southern England for university, I live in a stuido flat. There are a few, major problems with my flat. My mother brought the problems up with the maintenance who said they would come and fit in a new hob (it was broken) and fix the fridge - I am still waiting on this happening. The week after my mum left they came back a few times to do minor things, basically they tried to fix the fridge but the part was missing so they said it must be ordered. Again, 5 weeks later i'm still waiting on that part. Earlier, this week my mum ring's up and an hour later they appear at my door and fix half the things. Isn't that ironic?

Again, as I said these issues are all minor and irrelevant, however, I believe that they are a good example of how things generally play out.

It's always hilarious when you get the old foggie telling you, "you're an adult now, grow up" but then when you do act like an "adult", people never take you on.

You know, sometimes I think people say that for the laugh of it. I can be truthful and come out with it and say that most mature adults still see me as a child, I am never taken seriously; people are always jumping ahead of me in queues and so on. I always find that I get a completely different level of service when my mother is around.

Personally this aggravates me. I don't understand why people can't just treat young adults with the respect that they deserve? Surely if we treat you with respect, then it's not too hard to give it back? I think the life moto of "treat other's the way you are treated", is a good thing that these people need to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this is happening to you because of your age though, or is it something else? In your second scenario they could have been delaying it due to your age, however you never pursued them - your mother did. Do you think that if you had done what your mother did they wouldn't have showed up?

ReputationRep:
    Ageism. I remember something big happening at the beeb.m

ReputationRep:
    The flight attendant has no excuse to speak to you like that, you're a paying customer. However from both stories you've mentioned it sounds like you need to be a bit more assertive.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this happens to me a lot - not constantly but a lot. The flight attendant was definitely rude, I never said anything though because I knew it wouldn't end well, It's unfortunate that people use their power to control you but there's not much you can do.

As for the maintenance, yes I did ring up; multiple times infact. Most of the time they did not take me seriously, one of the maintenance person's on the phone actually hung up on me.

In general, I've noticed a significant decline in customer service levels, most employees that I meet seem to want to get out of there and ONLY do the bare basic that they required to do and no more.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure about this?

I'm 21 now, but I was always treated with as much respect as the next person all through my teenage years. Always offered wine on flights even when I wasn't old enough, always given the nice tables as restaurants, always given the nice rooms in hotels. I don't feel like anyone tried to fob me off on sub-standard attitude at all.

Perhaps it's not your age that is causing you this trouble.

ReputationRep:
    You just need to be more assertive.

As for the maintenance issue I would speak to the landlord or agents and tell them that they aren't keeping up their side of the contract and if your issues do get a resolved faster you will get solicitors involved. The threat enough gets most things moving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not a landlord, it's the university. They don't seem to like spending money on new appliances. I personally think it's the least they could do, after all we are paying twice the amount that you would pay for a 3 bedroom house locally.

Every time I ring up, it's like I am being a nuisance by even bothering to ask for maintenance. TBH, I'm sick of this cheap attitude that universities have towards students, we pay them all that money for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel any better some of the most disrespectful and inconsiderate people I have ever seen have been adolescents.
    It's very much a two way street. You get ********s in all walks of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    Well it's not a landlord, it's the university. They don't seem to like spending money on new appliances. I personally think it's the least they could do, after all we are paying twice the amount that you would pay for a 3 bedroom house locally.

Every time I ring up, it's like I am being a nuisance by even bothering to ask for maintenance. TBH, I'm sick of this cheap attitude that universities have towards students, we pay them all that money for nothing.
    Universities are even easier to deal with with because the last thing they want is to get a bad reputation and solicitors involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    I would like to start off by saying that I am 19 years of age but probably look around 16 so that probably has an influence on what i'm going to discuss.

Basically, I'm tired of being treated like rubbish. Adults do not give people my age the respect that we deserve! I have lost count of the number of times i've been walked over or not taken seriously when discussing a particular topic. I can provide some examples of my personal experiences to outline the kind of things I am thinking on:

Example 1 - The thought for this thread came about as a result of a snappy flight attendant yesterday - now, I know this is trivial but I thought it was worth a mention. Basically, I fly once a month so I am aware of the procedures. I had bought a bag of snacks to eat before the flight. I board my plane and go up to the emergency exit row (which I paid for) and I try and ask the flight attendant about keeping the bag down and before I even finish my sentence she snaps "bag, up", then I try and speak again and she says "bag, up" and again to which she snaps "BAG, UP NOW!". Note: she gave a woman down her handbag so this is clearly discrimination. After take off, I take my bag down and I sit down and before I can start eating she tells me that I have to put it under my seat, then she tells me to show my boarding pass to prove I paid for that seat. I must say that I am angry at the way that flight attendant handled the situation, I paid £100 for that flight with my own money, I deserve to get the same treatment as any other paying passenger. I think the situation is a good example of how mature adults judge young adults before we even speak. Basically this woman took one look at me and decided that I was going to be a pain without even speaking to me or knowing my personal life.

Example 2 - I've just moved to Southern England for university, I live in a stuido flat. There are a few, major problems with my flat. My mother brought the problems up with the maintenance who said they would come and fit in a new hob (it was broken) and fix the fridge - I am still waiting on this happening. The week after my mum left they came back a few times to do minor things, basically they tried to fix the fridge but the part was missing so they said it must be ordered. Again, 5 weeks later i'm still waiting on that part. Earlier, this week my mum ring's up and an hour later they appear at my door and fix half the things. Isn't that ironic?

Again, as I said these issues are all minor and irrelevant, however, I believe that they are a good example of how things generally play out.

It's always hilarious when you get the old foggie telling you, "you're an adult now, grow up" but then when you do act like an "adult", people never take you on.

You know, sometimes I think people say that for the laugh of it. I can be truthful and come out with it and say that most mature adults still see me as a child, I am never taken seriously; people are always jumping ahead of me in queues and so on. I always find that I get a completely different level of service when my mother is around.

Personally this aggravates me. I don't understand why people can't just treat young adults with the respect that they deserve? Surely if we treat you with respect, then it's not too hard to give it back? I think the life moto of "treat other's the way you are treated", is a good thing that these people need to learn.
    Flight attendant being a nob and your housing provider being crap (most are) doesn't prove anything.

It's not even that anecdotal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.