Turn on thread page Beta

Have I been ripped off by my friend? Charged me for petrol? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live in manchester and I joined my friend to ask him into town. He didn't feel like town so we decided on a different shopping centre. I text him to say I would pay the petrol to and from wherever we go as he always complains about having no money even when we all know he does. I normally Go by bus or train but it's hard to get to this place from mine that way.

It's a 42 mile trip so 21 miles each way from mine to the centre. I don't drive so dont know petrol costs.
    At the petrol station he asked me to pay £15. Now I was almost certain that was too much. That sounds like the entire petrol cost from his to mine, then to the shopping centre, back to mine and off back to his. I didn't feel I should have to pay the entire lot. Just my half. Or just from mine to the centre and he pay for the travel from his to mine.

From his to mine is about 12 miles one way.

In total he did about 64 miles of travelling that day.

Would you say ive been ripped off? Does 30 miles of petrol cost £15.

I am a single parent who lives on student bursary and its £100 a week for my son and I. My friend is a single man on £31k a year!

I don't know, I always pay my way but found it all very mean.

He has a Nissan Juke car so don't know if they're expensive to run.

ReputationRep:
    Seems perfectly legit...if your friend drives a Bentley or Humvee. Otherwise, urine has definitely been extracted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cressandra)
    I live in manchester and I joined my friend to ask him into town. He didn't feel like town so we decided on a different shopping centre. I text him to say I would pay the petrol to and from wherever we go as he always complains about having no money even when we all know he does. I normally Go by bus or train but it's hard to get to this place from mine that way.

It's a 42 mile trip so 21 miles each way from mine to the centre. I don't drive so dont know petrol costs.
    At the petrol station he asked me to pay £15. Now I was almost certain that was too much. That sounds like the entire petrol cost from his to mine, then to the shopping centre, back to mine and off back to his. I didn't feel I should have to pay the entire lot. Just my half. Or just from mine to the centre and he pay for the travel from his to mine.

From his to mine is about 12 miles one way.

In total he did about 64 miles of travelling that day.

Would you say ive been ripped off? Does 30 miles of petrol cost £15.

I am a single parent who lives on student bursary and its £100 a week for my son and I. My friend is a single man on £31k a year!

I don't know, I always pay my way but found it all very mean.

He has a Nissan Juke car so don't know if they're expensive to run.
    Since you don't have a car your won't know that it is not just the petrol that costs. Insurance, road tax, capital outlay, depreciation, maintenance. They reckon it costs about £1 per mile to drive a car. So I think you got off cheaply. Be grateful that you were taken somewhere in kind and nice company instead of moaning
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    4.5 litres in a gallon.

Assume petrol costs £1.15 (may be less)

Assume Miles per gallon is 40

So lets say distance you pay is 40 miles. That's equivalent to a gallon of petrol. Costs £1.15 * 4.5 = £5.17

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Alternatively, if you want a proper mileage rate including full contributions for insurance, depreciation, etc that's max 45p per mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Money comes and goes. You won't argue about this same time next month. He'll use the petrol and it will get finished.Now you know, don't drive around with him in his car again. Stick with bus and trains

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not the money it's the principle I do not wish to be friends with someone who would rip me off.I am selective over who I give my time and friendship to and do not wish to be friends with someone like that.

I've known him 3 years and he's always been mean with money but it seems he's got cheeky now and taking it a step further. He knew what he was doing and wouldn't have ripped off someone he knew could drive. Unfortunately for him I'm not completely clueless on the cost of petrol.

He's not even poor. Which makes it even worse. I literally feel like he's stolen £10 from me!

ReputationRep:
    Dude it's just £10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, you're just an idiot. You admitted straight away to paying for the petrol there and back. That was your own doing.

You paid more for the convenience. If you would rather spend time waiting for and using public transport then do that.

You basically had a taxi there and back, which you opted to pay for even before the journey, at way below what it'd have cost in a taxi.

Also, your real loss is less than £10. Have you ever been out in the car with this friend and you've contributed nothing towards the petrol costs? If so, there's the payback. Its swings and roundabouts, and if you don't like contributing or working by those rules then get on public transport and suck it up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you were ripped off. And how inconsiderate of your friend? He's on 31k a year, and you are a single mother who is a student? You've got to be kidding me.

I have absolutely no time for people like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    4.5 litres in a gallon.

Assume petrol costs £1.15 (may be less)

Assume Miles per gallon is 40

So lets say distance you pay is 40 miles. That's equivalent to a gallon of petrol. Costs £1.15 * 4.5 = £5.17

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doubt a juke makes 40mpg,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Since you don't have a car your won't know that it is not just the petrol that costs. Insurance, road tax, capital outlay, depreciation, maintenance. They reckon it costs about £1 per mile to drive a car. So I think you got off cheaply. Be grateful that you were taken somewhere in kind and nice company instead of moaning
    Lol wow

Got out the overheads of driving and everything.

I personally haven't charged anyone for petrol before as its not an issue to me.

The only time I can understand charging someone, is if you have gone out of your way for them. Even then I'd rather just say no than charge them money.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I get charged (well, my friend and I split the cost) £10 to get dropped up to the airport which is about 90 miles.

Is he having to pay parking too?

ReputationRep:
    Normal rates are between 30 - 45p a mile due to the car wear & tear. You got off lightly.

ReputationRep:
    Irrespective of the true cost , i can't imagine how a friend who is clearly doing quite well in comparison , could charge someone in your position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I get charged (well, my friend and I split the cost) £10 to get dropped up to the airport which is about 90 miles.

Is he having to pay parking too?
    Yeah but that's someone physically dropping you off, actually acting as a taxi for you. In which case, £10 is very generous. That's different to the OPs case.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Why are you acting as if her friend provided a taxi service? They both went to spend the day doing something together.

The only time I would ask for some petrol money would be if I was actually acting as a taxi for a friend. And even then I'd probably only ask about a fiver.

But I suppose, given by your posts in the politics threads, you are as tight as a ducks arse.
    TBF, his friend did have to go 24 miles out of his way.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by earthworm)
    Doubt a juke makes 40mpg,
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/nissan/juke/mpg

ReputationRep:
    Wow.. Still wouldnt buy 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Yeah, you were ripped off. And how inconsiderate of your friend? He's on 31k a year, and you are a single mother who is a student? You've got to be kidding me.

I have absolutely no time for people like that.
    I agree. No one will ever make me think differently. It's horrible. He was going anyway so can't be compared to a taxi service. He chose the place to go. Parking is free.
    I wouldnt pay tax, insurance etc as I don't own the car and do not get any of the benefits of owning A car. I can't afford one so would never have one.

I've never had a lift from him before and won't again.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.