Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English essay-Please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am writing a comparing essay and one of the things I need to write about is form and structure. Please could someone explain what verse is and what dramatic monologue is? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    omg are you doing the compare r&j and the lord of the flies essay?

ReputationRep:
    A verse is part of a song although in your case I would presume it to mean part of a poem, like a stanza. A monologue is a the part of a text in which one of the characters gives the audience or reader an insight into their own character. For instance the famous To Be or Not To Be speech by Hamlet. In this part of the play Hamlet explores his own conflicted feelings in response to the situation he finds himself in. Another example of a dramatic monologue I think would be Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, which is otherwise known as a epic poem because it goes on and on and on!

ReputationRep:
    I have to write an essay based on this poem called 'Give' by Simon Armitage the question is:
    How is the character in 'Give' create:
    -romantic imagery
    -direct address
    -language
    -talented performer
    -sarcasm

Here is the poem:
    GiveSimon ArmitageOf all the public places, dearto make a scene, I’ve chosen here.Of all the doorways in the worldto choose to sleep, I’ve chosen yours.I’m on the street, under the stars.For coppers I can dance or sing.For silver-swallow swords, eat fire.For gold-escape from locks and chains.It’s not as if I’m holding outfor frankincense or myrrh, just change.You give me tea. That’s big of you.I’m on my knees. I beg of you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.