Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Submitting a CV as part of an application - what are universities looking for? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yo forum,

Basically, I'm a third-year student applying for a taught Masters in Computer Science at Oxford. Part of the application process involved submitting a CV, but I'm not sure exactly what sort of things to include in it. Will they be looking for mainly academic work, or are they simply trying to get an idea of your overall employment history? I'd mainly be writing about part-time work and a few other random things I've worked on, not full-time employment.

So, yeah... anybody got any advice? X)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    They're looking for your education and work history and for any gaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo99756)
    Yo forum,

Basically, I'm a third-year student applying for a taught Masters in Computer Science at Oxford. Part of the application process involved submitting a CV, but I'm not sure exactly what sort of things to include in it. Will they be looking for mainly academic work, or are they simply trying to get an idea of your overall employment history? I'd mainly be writing about part-time work and a few other random things I've worked on, not full-time employment.

So, yeah... anybody got any advice? X)
    They are asking for a CV because that's a flexible format that suits all applicants - from the current undergrad like yourself through the person who's worked for a few years and is returning to study, to the career changer who's dabbled in CS but has an unrelated degree and wants to change direction.

So you can adapt it to sell yourself - add anything you can think of that will support your application, with the emphasis on academics and any work experience where you can argue the relevance. Also put anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the application form that you want them to know about, even if it wouldn't traditionally go on a CV.

Like alleycat says, also use it to account for gaps - e.g. if you took a gap year talk about that (so that they know you were travelling around China not re-sitting A levels, or whatever)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they're looking for any new pieces of information since the application form already is very comprehensive. So do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot @ all .

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.