Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If i wanted to study a science access course what degree can i do at university watch

ReputationRep:
    If i wanted to study a science access course what degree can i do at university
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You may get more answers in the Mature Students section?

You could study anything to do with chemistry, biology or physics. I don't think you can do nursing.

I'm sure if you speak to your tutor, they can give you some guidance.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the mature student section please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset12)
    Where is the mature student section please?
    The place I've just moved this to. Access courses are for people beyond the usual A level age who want to re-enter education, which sounds like you.

ReputationRep:
    Health science usually contains students wanting to go into nursing, paramedics, ODP etc
    Social science is usually social workers etc

ReputationRep:
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    Access to Science: Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Chemistry, Genetics, Mathematics, Optometry, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Physics, Radiography, Zoology.

That's just some of them. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaeden)
    Cambridge do not accept Access courses for entry to Natural Sciences, or most (if not all) of their Science related degrees.
    They do in principle, but you will need one or more A Levels in addition:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ess-he-diploma

For Natural Sciences, an Access diploma must be backed up with A Level Maths for the Physical Sciences path, and it is recommended for the Biological Sciences path.

Individual colleges may have more stringent requirements, so for the sciences it may be best for mature applicants to focus on colleges with an interest in mature students.

ReputationRep:
    With an access to science course, you would be able to study any science degree as long as you took the relevant access course modules. Maths on access courses is a bit weak, so a lot of the better universities require students to sit a maths assessment test if they are applying to a maths-heavy degree (maths, physics, engineering). You can get around this by doing A levels maths alongside the access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    With an access to science course, you would be able to study any science degree as long as you took the relevant access course modules. Maths on access courses is a bit weak, so a lot of the better universities require students to sit a maths assessment test if they are applying to a maths-heavy degree (maths, physics, engineering). You can get around this by doing A levels maths alongside the access course.
    Hey i have done an IT course in college, well im currently in second year expected to get d*d*d*, they said i could apply to the odp course, i have 5 c grades and nothing science related, im kinda lost on why they are letting me apply to it, im not complaining lol just curious.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.