Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to know your good enough for A-Level Further Mathematics? watch

ReputationRep:
    How to know your good enough to take A-Level Further Mathematics?*

When your not taking Further Mathematics at GCSE Level because the school don't offer it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Asian Persuasion)
    When your not taking Further Mathematics at GCSE Level because the school don't offer it.
    A* at GCSE, you like the subject, pick things up quite easily.

ReputationRep:

You gotta take tuition for that then, It's very much like A-Level Further maths. Get the issue sorted out now or else drop the subject. I recommend A or better at GCSE :rolleyes:. Try investiong some money on good maths books and revision guides if are into reading a lot of books, I promise you will not get bored as each book will be of a different taste.
    Good Luck for your GCSEs :yy:

ReputationRep:

Further Maths at GCSE is more like early core A level maths anyway from what I've seen (I never did it). In general if you find GCSE maths quite easy and get an a*, and you're very interested in maths and willing to do a lot of work, then you'll probably be fine with A-Level Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    First year further maths is not harder , since you just do maths A level but in 1 year. If you don't think your up to it just drop it at the end and to your 2 other subjects to get your 3 A levels.
    And A or A* at GCSE should do it aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Only the best A level Maths students also do A level Further Maths so the grade boundaries will be even harder to achieve the same grade in as A level Maths. So to get an A/A* you should really find GCSE maths pretty easy

ReputationRep:

You don't need an A* at GCSE. I only got an A and got A*A* in my maths A-levels. I didn't take further maths GCSE either.
    Take it if you love maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    You don't need an A* at GCSE. I only got an A and got A*A* in my maths A-levels. I didn't take further maths GCSE either.
    Take it if you love maths.
    If you love maths why did you get an A at GCSE?

Don't mean to be rude, I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    If you love maths why did you get an A at GCSE?

Don't mean to be rude, I'm just curious.
    My teacher didn't help and I wasn't very good at self-teaching at that age(14).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildleaves)
    First year further maths is not harder , since you just do maths A level but in 1 year. If you don't think your up to it just drop it at the end and to your 2 other subjects to get your 3 A levels.
    And A or A* at GCSE should do it aswell.
    Not necessarily.

Also the amount of people using your instead of you're in this thread is depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    My teacher didn't help and I wasn't very good at self-teaching at that age(14).
    I think people are making the assumption that the OP will be sitting Maths GCSE in Year 11. I would probably have got a B at best if I took Maths at 14 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I think people are making the assumption that the OP will be sitting Maths GCSE in Year 11. I would probably have got a B at best if I took Maths at 14 lol.
    I was also making that assumption, just saying it's not necessary to get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    My school really didn't go through what further maths entails. It also didn't really help me doing additional maths sessions once a week for an hour and were extremely badly taught. It honestly made me feel like a level maths was going to be near impossible...

In reality I should've taken A-level further maths like my teacher suggested but I just felt too dumb for it after those additional maths sessions.

Should've taken Maths, Biology, History and Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    My school really didn't go through what further maths entails. It also didn't really help me doing additional maths sessions once a week for an hour and were extremely badly taught. It honestly made me feel like a level maths was going to be near impossible...

In reality I should've taken A-level further maths like my teacher suggested but I just felt too dumb for it after those additional maths sessions.

Should've taken Maths, Biology, History and Further Maths
    What subject is in place of FM? Perhaps take it next year? It isn't that bad tbh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.