Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When does it officially start becoming a relationship? watch

So people start by liking each other, they flirt, they kiss, go on dates. Then it ends up being you two are seeing each other exclusively. But when does that actually become an official boyfriend-and-girlfriend relationship? Do they have to say the words "do you want to be official/my girlfriend/etc?"

How did it go for you?
    Or what normally happens?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So people start by liking each other, they flirt, they kiss, go on dates. Then it ends up being you two are seeing each other exclusively. But when does that actually become an official boyfriend-and-girlfriend relationship? Do they have to say the words "do you want to be official/my girlfriend/etc?"

How did it go for you?
    Or what normally happens?
    I'd go for 'girlfriend' rather than 'official', it sounds more romantic. But yes, that's how it's gone for me in the past.

Though I've heard some people say 'do you want to be my main chick?'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When it's on Facebook. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    You've been on several dates, you've done the business, you feel in love..

(Original post by Zarek)
    You've been on several dates, you've done the business, you feel in love..
    So it doesn't have to be something decided by the two of you, it just sort of becomes by default?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous;[url="tel:60169589")
    60169589[/url]]So it doesn't have to be something decided by the two of you, it just sort of becomes by default?
    I guess there needs to be a mutual feeling and showing of commitment and I think this can arise as you say by default. It doesn't have to be confirmed by formal discussion in my experience. Another question is how soon is 'I love you' uttered once you're in a relationship..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So it doesn't have to be something decided by the two of you, it just sort of becomes by default?
    Personally I like for us both to decide upon it, otherwise I don't feel completely convinced that we're together. At least that way we both know where we stand

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on the couple. Since me and my bf were best friends before becoming a couple, we never dated, we just became an official couple as soon as he asked me out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I'd go for 'girlfriend' rather than 'official', it sounds more romantic. But yes, that's how it's gone for me in the past.

Though I've heard some people say 'do you want to be my main chick?'. :rolleyes:
    My main chick :rofl: He's probably got side chicks then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I suppose it depends on the couple. Since me and my bf were best friends before becoming a couple, we never dated, we just became an official couple as soon as he asked me out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, i've seen your story all over tsr now You never fail to mention it lol

ReputationRep:
    When you **** her right in the PusE.

ReputationRep:
    It has to be a mutual understanding between the two people. So either a decision or as a default progression. But both people need to understand that. That's why the "progression" way is a little more difficult because the line is a little hazy.

You could call her your girlfriend and see if she corrects you.. ?

ReputationRep:
    When we both sign each others' contracts and pay each other with peppercorns.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it was official when you start calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend.

But you'll know when that happens because you'll want to be 100% committed to one another and would have mutual feelings and probably would have been on handful of dates. But the timescale is different for everyone, if it feels right it feels right.

Not sure if I'm fully qualified to answer this question seeing as I've never had a boyfriend :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.