Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Please excuse my naivety but i need someone to help me, if that's not too much trouble please.

Also, can someone who has been an Optician/Optometrist for several years help me as i need someone with experience.

So, this August i began to study Optometry, and if i'm being honest it was not what i was expecting. I mean no disrespect to the profession or the people at all, its just not what i thought it would be.

So we have this family friend who has been in the field for 7+ years and its hard to ask him questions because we hardly ever speak or know each other that wel,l but when i did ask him about his opinion on the couse he said that in his opinion he loves the job but could have learned the skills necessary to prescribe lenses and test vision in about 2 years instead of 4. He also said that if he got an apprenticeship or some sort of hands on experience instead of learning some pointless stuff in uni, he would have had more refined skills.

I have no idea if this is right or not .Can someone who has been in this field for a considerable amount of time tell me if it was theoretically possible just to learn on the job instead of university.

Thank you all for your time.

PS: Sorry For being too Long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingpanda786)
    Hi Everyone,

Please excuse my naivety but i need someone to help me, if that's not too much trouble please.

Also, can someone who has been an Optician/Optometrist for several years help me as i need someone with experience.

So, this August i began to study Optometry, and if i'm being honest it was not what i was expecting. I mean no disrespect to the profession or the people at all, its just not what i thought it would be.

So we have this family friend who has been in the field for 7+ years and its hard to ask him questions because we hardly ever speak or know each other that wel,l but when i did ask him about his opinion on the couse he said that in his opinion he loves the job but could have learned the skills necessary to prescribe lenses and test vision in about 2 years instead of 4. He also said that if he got an apprenticeship or some sort of hands on experience instead of learning some pointless stuff in uni, he would have had more refined skills.

I have no idea if this is right or not .Can someone who has been in this field for a considerable amount of time tell me if it was theoretically possible just to learn on the job instead of university.

Thank you all for your time.

PS: Sorry For being too Long
    Two people that I know have already graduated from optometry two years ago.
    One of them is working just on the outskirts of London at an opticians, one of those big ones.
    Another one of them went into laser eye surgery which she absolutely loves.
    Both get a really good pay, but the first one can't really progress onto more levels, for instance; you know as a doctor or a nurse, you can go from band 5 to band 8abc.
    Whereas, when your an optometrist, your pretty much doing the same things all the time. Unless you'd like that, I suggest to jog for it.
    Optometry is all about selling rather than patient contact.
    But with a good pay, your secured a future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.