Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Colleague said something non-homophobic! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God. So today, I was talking to this person who I thought was really nice and then they said 'Homosexuality is right'. I wanted to smack them up.

Oh wait. I just remembered. There's this thing, called freedom of speech? Oh yeah. I may not agree with them, but since what they're saying doesn't impede on my rights, then why should I be offended? So long as what they say isn't hateful then I should respect that they have a different opinion.

Gosh golly, this just makes me appreciate the fact that we have such a freedom. I mean, what was I thinking? To censor half the world? Hahaha.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3679473 Thread in question.

Could you imagine? If we forced our ideals on everyone? In a world where everyone agrees that homosexuality is wrong and that everyone has to believe it? Freedom of Speech is a two way street. So long as it doesn't incite hatred and isn't derogatory why get so pissy?

Treeroy
    Plantagenet Crown
    XcitingStuart

ReputationRep:
    I agree. When people claim homosexuals have every right to marriage because it's a basic civil right, yet oppose those that conflict your opinion with intent to cause is harm, is hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between your thread and the original thread, is that the colleague in the other thread directly attacked someone over their homosexuality.

It's completely f****** different to someone complimenting homosexuality 4god I can't cope with the idiocy that parents seem to breed in this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    The difference between your thread and the original thread, is that the colleague in the other thread directly attacked someone over their homosexuality.

It's completely f****** different to someone complimenting homosexuality 4god I can't cope with the idiocy that parents seem to breed in this world.
    They didn't seem to attack. Mind quoting the attack you're talking about?

ReputationRep:

Exactly. This is why i dont believe everyone should be allowed to breed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Exactly. This is why i dont believe everyone should be allowed to breed
    That's just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    That's just ridiculous.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    remember mill's harm principle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    They didn't seem to attack. Mind quoting the attack you're talking about?
    Either near the end of page 3/4, the OP clarified that the colleague said the remark to her directly after she had told her she was Gay.

I didn't mean a full on physical abusive attack if that's what you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Either near the end of page 3/4, the OP clarified that the colleague said the remark to her directly after she had told her she was Gay.

I didn't mean a full on physical abusive attack if that's what you're after.
    So saying to someone that you don't agree with their lifestyle constitutes as 'attacking' them in your opinion? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There is confusion about freedom of speech/freedom of expression that some fail to realise. It refers to protection of censorship from the state, not protection from criticism. If you say something homophobic and someone calls you out on it then suck it up, it is not an infringement of your right to freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    So saying to someone that you don't agree with their lifestyle constitutes as 'attacking' them in your opinion? :rolleyes:
    Being gay isn't a lifestyle in that context, it's an orientation :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    When it's over something that is a core biological part of that person, then yes. They can't do anything about being gay so you have no right to insult them over their non-optional "lifestyle". The same thing applies to sex and race, it cannot be controlled...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    There is confusion about freedom of speech/freedom of expression that some fail to realise. It refers to protection of censorship from the state, not protection from criticism. If you say something homophobic and someone calls you out on it then suck it up, it is not an infringement of your right to freedom of speech.
    Threatening to smack them up is different. That's violence. And I don't understand your logic. Saying you don't agree with homosexuality equates to being homophobic? If your religion or faith says homosexuality is wrong, then that's what you believe. It doesn't mean that you're necessarily going to behave in a homophobic way towards gays,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedishRedhead)
    Being gay isn't a lifestyle in that context, it's an orientation :facepalm:
    Thanks for being pedantic over my choice of words.

ReputationRep:
    Threatening to smack them up is different. That's violence. And I don't understand your logic. Saying you don't agree with homosexuality equates to being homophobic? If your religion or faith says homosexuality is wrong, then that's what you believe. It doesn't mean that you're necessarily going to behave in a homophobic way towards gays,
    At which point did she threaten them with violence? She merely said she wanted to, given that thinking about something is different from doing or threatening to do it, and given that such phrases are often used figuratively, I fail to see how that constitutes violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    At which point did she threaten them with violence? She merely said she wanted to, given that thinking about something is different from doing or threatening to do it, and given that such phrases are often used figuratively, I fail to see how that constitutes violence.
    The whole point is you shouldn't even feel the need to incur physical damage to another person for holding a different view to yours.

Not everybody needs to accept homosexuality. If someone doesn't agree with it, why should we get angry about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbroken Oath)
    Oh my God. So today, I was talking to this person who I thought was really nice and then they said 'Homosexuality is right'. I wanted to smack them up.

Oh wait. I just remembered. There's this thing, called freedom of speech? Oh yeah. I may not agree with them, but since what they're saying doesn't impede on my rights, then why should I be offended? So long as what they say isn't hateful then I should respect that they have a different opinion.

Gosh golly, this just makes me appreciate the fact that we have such a freedom. I mean, what was I thinking? To censor half the world? Hahaha.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3679473 Thread in question.

Could you imagine? If we forced our ideals on everyone? In a world where everyone agrees that homosexuality is wrong and that everyone has to believe it? Freedom of Speech is a two way street. So long as it doesn't incite hatred and isn't derogatory why get so pissy?

Treeroy
    Plantagenet Crown
    XcitingStuart

No I shan't respect that they have a (different) opinion, that I don't agree with, but yes, I'll respect their right to hold that opinion, whilst I also respect my right to criticise the intestines out of it.

So why, may I ask, have you quoted me? I said in that thread that I'll gladly debate her over the medium of emails, for example (I'd even do it in real life) and never once implied that she should lose her job over it, for example.

Oh, and yes I will get pissy, but impassioned is a better word for that. If she at all in parts contributes towards the stigma surrounding homosexuality, which causes the increased depression and suicide rates, is it not justifiable for me to get pissy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh no not again!)
    I agree. When people claim homosexuals have every right to marriage because it's a basic civil right, yet oppose those that conflict your opinion with intent to cause is harm, is hypocrisy.
    Just saying (as opposing gay marriage is at heads with logic):
    - marriage predates religion, proving it is a separate entity altogether
    - marriage gives reduced taxes
    - marriage grants better hospital visitation rights to your partner
    - Last two points make it institutionalised discrimination
    - Marriage is a milestone for many in a relationship, and an intrinsic part of our culture. Is it not cruel to deny such?

Now tell me, how is it logical, or morally right to oppose gay marriage? Such irrationality, is unbecoming of humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    That's just ridiculous.
    Yet it's still freedom of speech, no?
    (Though I'm not saying you said it wasn't.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.