Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Buying a used car - should you pay the full amount first? watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, I have no experience whatsoever with buying a used car, so please bear with me; I think I'm going to go and buy this used car, but the owner said that it's better to use a bank draft since the money will be cleared quicker and it's easier to transfer ownership under my name afterwards.

Now, the thing I'm so worried about is that if I were to pay the owner by using the draft, he can actually just ran away afterwards? Is there other safer ways to do this? Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you go view, take it for a test drive, agree to buy it, do all your checks, make sure the V5 is in the sellers name and address, and then sort out the CASH or a bank transfer, sign the paperwork over and you're good to go.

bank transfers for the majority of banks are in the others account within minutes 24/7 now, or within a maximum of 2 hours if more checks are needed.

why overthink it, or overcomplicate it? you wouldn't walk in to a shop, pay for your shopping first and then walk around picking your items.

View, like, agree to buy, sort out payment, jobs jobbed

what the seller probably means buy faster to transfer ownership is that he doesn't want a cheque, that you will have to wait to clear before you drive it away, he wants 'cleared funds' a bankers draft is effectively cash, but without the wad of cash, just pay with cash or a bank transfer.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the value of the car but generally cash is king, or bank transfer once you have seen the car and not before

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.