Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm very passionate about computer networking and would like to do PhD at either Cambridge, Oxford or Edinburgh.

I just graduated from Plymouth Uni with a 1st class ( just scraped by
    I've studied computer networking. Moreover got 83% for my dissertation and made the dean's list. I'm certain that my profs would give me good references. I'm not sure if this is helpful but I've done a relevant placement at a high tech company.

I don't have a masters. Is this an Issue ?

What are my chances here ? Would I be able to get in to one of these universities? I don't have a penny :/ so it has to be fully funded.

Really appreciate your help

ReputationRep:
    Getting a place isnt usually the problem - its getting funding (there is no automatic funding like SF at postgrad level).

Realistically you will need a Masters to do a PhD at either of those Unis - simply because you will be competing with those who do have that sort of advanced level study/knowledge. You may find a funding scheme called '1+3' which is an MSc or MRes followed by a PhD or you may have to find a way of funding a Masters separately and then applying for just PhD funding.

For funding, keep an eye on www.jobs.ac.uk or www.findphd.com - and the Funding Opportunities sticky at the top of this board. And contact the Depts at each Uni to find out what funding is available specifically for those Unis. The deadline for Oxford funding is early January and Edinburgh will be similar. Realistically you may have to look far wider than just Edinburgh and Oxford - including overseas.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice @returnmigrant

I'm hoping to cover the financial aspects from scholarships. Currently my biggest concern is whether if I can secure a position at either one of these unis. And I'm considering MIT, Stanford and other engineering unis however it seems that they are obsessed with GRE. I don't mind doing masters as a part of PhD ( which is popular in states). But I don't want to spend another year doing a separate masters( in which where I'd have to fund it myself).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree with "returnmigrant"...Look up for an EPSRC CDT in your field of interest, where they will offer you 1+3 years and 14k stipend. If you want to try applying for the US, they do 5 year Phd there, where they offer you an MS with it, as you will need to take some classes as well. In the US, the Phd salaries are usually around $1.5-2k/month, depending on the University, for your 5 years there (or more).

ReputationRep:
    Having a masters helps with the application for sure, but it may be totally irrelevant for your PhD when you actually get started!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    While having research experience helps there's no way of knowing what your chances are without a masters because the competition is so tough. You just have to apply. As returnmigrant said though the question is less about whether you will get in and more about whether you'll get funding because as you said you can't do this without funding. While unis have an academic standard to maintain they're more flexible about who they let in if you're self funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaunz1)
    Hi Guys,

I'm very passionate about computer networking and would like to do PhD at either Cambridge, Oxford or Edinburgh.

I just graduated from Plymouth Uni with a 1st class ( just scraped by
    I've studied computer networking. Moreover got 83% for my dissertation and made the dean's list. I'm certain that my profs would give me good references. I'm not sure if this is helpful but I've done a relevant placement at a high tech company.

I don't have a masters. Is this an Issue ?

What are my chances here ? Would I be able to get in to one of these universities? I don't have a penny :/ so it has to be fully funded.

Really appreciate your help
    From Cambridge's website:

Applicants are expected to have a very good degree (in the UK a First Class Honours degree) in Computer Science or a related subject. A masters-level degree (or other post-graduate work) is increasingly desirable; some PhD applicants may find prior study of our MPhil in Advanced Computer Science useful.

They are really telling you here that a masters is the norm for a competitive application.

You're also going to struggle with the timescale for funding applications now, if you're planning on applying for October 2016:

Home and eligible EU students wishing to be considered for the Cambridge Home and EU Scholarship Scheme (CHESS) or funding from the EPSRC Doctoral Training Grant must submit their complete application to the Graduate Admissions Office no later than 6 January 2016.

There's a lot to do (i.e. drafting proposal and contacting supervisor) in a relatively short time.

Realistically, if you want a funded PhD, it's a case of applying to all universities with a potential supervisor, not just Oxbridge/Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. It looks like the safest thing to do is apply for the MPhil. What do you guys think? It would be bit easier for me to secure funds as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaunz1)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. It looks like the safest thing to do is apply for the MPhil. What do you guys think? It would be bit easier for me to secure funds as well.
    True and then you can upgrade it to a PhD, but it is risky at the same time. I think an MSc and then a PhD is more safe.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.