Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I received my report card on Friday, and my targets were:
    Maths: A
    Physics: B
    Further maths: C

This has really frustrated me as in Furhter maths, I achieved a high B at AS level (despite getting targeted a C throughout the whole of year 12). I talked to my teacher at the start of the year and she told me that FP2 and FP3 tends to be easier than FP1 (which I got a B in) due to there being less content. I have been looking at AAB universities alongside AAA (I do the graded Welsh Bacc, which can replace a normal A level).

This has basically made me miss out on all but one of my choices since ABC is a really useless grade combination. Would it be a good idea to talk her after half term? She is a strict teacher so I am worried that I may not be able to change her mind. What should I do if I can't change her mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Triaa)

This has really frustrated me as in Furhter maths, I achieved a high B at AS level (despite getting targeted a C throughout the whole of year 12). I talked to my teacher at the start of the year and she told me that FP2 and FP3 tends to be easier than FP1 (which I got a B in) due to there being less content. I have been looking at AAB universities alongside AAA (I do the graded Welsh Bacc, which can replace a normal A level).

This has basically made me miss out on all but one of my choices since ABC is a really useless grade combination. Would it be a good idea to talk her after half term? She is a strict teacher so I am worried that I may not be able to change her mind. What should I do if I can't change her mind?
    Are you sure those are the predicted grades going on your application? At my school we had so many different sets of grades given to us. For example we had Minimum Expected grades, Teacher predicted grades (not actual predictions) and Teacher Aspirational grades. All of these were essentially useless for the UCAS application.

Just ask if these target grades are your actual predicted grades because I don't see why they'd predict you down if you got a high B

ReputationRep:
    If you got a B last year she can't predict you lower than a B.
    I would talk to her to change it, she probably just used your gcse target determination for A2 as well.

ReputationRep:

You can certainly talk to her after half term - it's reasonable to ask why she's made the prediction. If she can't explain to you why she's predicted the C, then you could try talking to the Head of Sixth about it. ABC is not the easiest combination to match, it's true, so it is worth having the conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A last year and one of my teachers still predicted me a B. Just talk to someone higher up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should make her change her mind.There is absolutely no reason for you to be predicted lower at A2 than you achieved at AS. The school should be aware of this (ultimately it reflects badly on them if their students don't get university offers). If she won't change her mind, speak to someone more senior. If your school has an official UCAS coordinator, speak to them. If not, speak to your tutor or even the head if necessary.Also, just make sure that your ACTUAL predicted grade is not a C. What I mean is that, at our school at least, your predicted grades and target grades are entirely separate. The predicted grades went with the reference and were for UCAS, whereas the target grades were computer generated and didn't actually take AS into account (e.g. I got AAAA at AS and my target grades are BBB - my actual predicted grades are A*A*A).But yea, if that's your actual predicted grade, I'd definitely move heaven and earth to get it changed to a B.

ReputationRep:

Are these your predicted grades that would go on your UCAS statement, or are they just something through the term?

If they're something through the term don't even worry about it unless you think your parents would be mad, then try to get it changed but I personally would just tell my parents the teacher is being weird.

If it's your UCAS statement then get it changed ASAP and if it doesn't work talking to the subject teacher, go to the head of year.

ReputationRep:
    Targets or predictions? :curious:

ReputationRep:

Predicted grade takes GCSE, overall ums but I think thats target grade (the grades you're currently working at) which takes into account your work ethics (e.g. homework, class test) into consideration.

You can still apply to unis requiring AAB. I am in the exact same situation (but predicted all Bs). Try discussing this with your teachers.

Edit: FP2 and FP3 are far much harder than FP1, as the content are much more difficult and you're required to understand FP1 and C1-4 well enough.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Most colleges predict lower than they think you'll get because they get extra brownie points if you beat the prediction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Most colleges predict lower than they think you'll get because they get extra brownie points if you beat the prediction.
    Nonsense - this is confusing 'target' grades, which are calculated according to a national algorithm and are used to measure 'added value', and predicted grades, which are what goes on your UCAS application. There is no benefit to schools or colleges in under-predicting.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Nonsense - this is confusing 'target' grades, which are calculated according to a national algorithm and are used to measure 'added value', and predicted grades, which are what goes on your UCAS application. There is no benefit to schools or colleges in under-predicting.
    I was just going off what my college said, don't shoot the messenger.

ReputationRep:
    that's bull****, unless she has a good reason (e.g. if you got a low grade in a mock exam) then get your parents involved. being predicted a C when you got a high B in your AS implies she thinks you'll barely scrape an E in your A2 exams. to achieve a B overall you need to get an average of a middle grade C in your three remaining further math exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I was just going off what my college said, don't shoot the messenger.
    I'm not

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in Maths in AS and my maths teacher predicted me a C for A2 which would have stopped me from getting into my preferred uni. Long story short, I made him an offer he couldn't refuse, he predicted me an A and now 1 year on im studying engineering at UoB.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I'm not
    Truth is, I ain't got a clue what letter matches what - I just pay attention to the one that tells me how I did

ReputationRep:
    You need to speak to your teacher. If your not happy go the head of department and if still not happy school management. It is a very odd thing to do as schools or colleges pride themselves on getting students into top universities and this will reflect badly on you AND the school

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.