Turn on thread page Beta

German who lived in New Zealand - am I eligible? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Good afternoon

    I was born in Germany and finished my A Levels in 2007. However, I could not find an apprenticeship / study course in time before the upcoming term and did a year work and travel in New Zealand instead where I ended up staying for 8 years and managed a small business. Unfortunately my work visa ran out and I was forced to leave the country.

    I am single and came to London in September 2015 in the hope of finding work here, however due to the fact that I do not hold a proper degree I am being shut out from every agency so far and it looks like I will soon have to start temping in unskilled jobs to keep myself afloat with bills.

    I was wondering if I was eligible to study in the UK to better my future job chances. My parents are divorced and live on minimum wage in Germany.

    On the finance eligibility website it says that I would not be eligible as I haven't lived here yet for 3 years, however there could still be a chance for funding as I did not intentionally move here to study - which option does apply?

    Thank you!

    You need to be resident in the uk 3 years prior to the start of your course to be eligible for uk funding. The other option you have seen is migrant worker status. However to be eligible for that you need to be resident in the eu for 3 years prior to the start of your course. As you have spent 8 years in nz looks like you will have to wait a while.
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.