Turn on thread page Beta

I'm scared I think my great grandma is dying watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I lived half my life in England I never really seen my great grandma often I saw her twice during the summer.Today my grandma told me that my great grandma is in the hospital my mum told me that they think she has blood cancer.She is unresponsive and sleeps all the time.I am so scared I don't know her as well as I would have liked i regret it so much that I never called her.I don't want her to die she does not know the extent of her illness.No one wants to tell her.

If she dies how can I live with myself I wish I talked to her when she was in a better state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I lived half my life in England I never really seen my great grandma often I saw her twice during the summer.Today my grandma told me that my great grandma is in the hospital my mum told me that they think she has blood cancer.She is unresponsive and sleeps all the time.I am so scared I don't know her as well as I would have liked i regret it so much that I never called her.I don't want her to die she does not know the extent of her illness.No one wants to tell her.

If she dies how can I live with myself I wish I talked to her when she was in a better state.
    If you're religious fall onto that.
    if you're an Atheist well idk what to tell you life has errors in it and its much easier to see things when you look in hind sight, my great grandfather died a few years ago and i hadn't seen him for over 7-8 years i was given the chance of seeing him but i refused mainly because i wanted to play my video games however if i had done i'd of seen him with dementia.

Death sadly is a natural part of life and its better to accept it as soon as you can or the fear of it will destroy you.

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

If you're saying she's unresponsive then there's not much you can do. However you can keep calling your grandmother to check how your great grandmother is doing and reassure her.
    You can send her something in the post to show her you're thinking of her?

Don't regret it now, just learn from it and make sure you don't do the same to your own mother when you grow up.
    Be in your mother's company, don't neglect her and talk to her about her grandmother and what she was like etc.

Remember, we are all going to die one day, right now you just have to be strong for your family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Sorry to hear what you're going through.

If you're saying she's unresponsive then there's not much you can do. However you can keep calling your grandmother to check how your great grandmother is doing and reassure her.
    You can send her something in the post to show her you're thinking of her?

Don't regret it now, just learn from it and make sure you don't do the same to your own mother when you grow up.
    Be in your mother's company, don't neglect her and talk to her about her grandmother and what she was like etc.

Remember, we are all going to die one day, right now you just have to be strong for your family
    I know we are all going to die, but it is so scary what if there is not heaven or reincarnation? What if death hurts?

ReputationRep:
    Make the most of time when shes alive! because you never know what youve got until its gone

I know we are all going to die, but it is so scary what if there is not heaven or reincarnation? What if death hurts?
    Then nothing. If there is no heaven or reincarnation, that just means you need to make the most of your time in this life and that when we're all dead, we won't really care that we're dead.

Not sure what the answer to the second question is because it really depends on how you die. Both my grandfathers are now dead -- one of them died in his sleep having struggled with cancer for some time and the other one died of a second heart attack (he'd survived a previous one). If I had to bet, I'd wager the former grandfather didn't feel too much pain but the second one probably did.

How old are you, if it's not too intrusive? You sound fairly young given your responses. :3

Edit: Actually, nevermind that last question. I just realised you're an alt account of somebody I already know on this website.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the late reply.

It is scary, but for now I think you should just focus on building your life.
    Well if you are an atheist then I guess you should be making the most of this life. Most atheists try and live life to the fullest, does that appeal to you?

Personally as a Muslim, I believe this life is only a test and the purpose of it is to work hard for the hereafter. I strongly believe in heaven and hell and we won't just live once!

Maybe you should research into different religions?

Death will only hurt if you're a bad person. You should be fine

ReputationRep:

Well if you are an atheist then I guess you should be making the most of this life. Most atheists try and live life to the fullest, does that appeal to you?

Personally as a Muslim, I believe this life is only a test and the purpose of it is to work hard for the hereafter. I strongly believe in heaven and hell and we won't just live once!

I am a Christian

I am a Christian
    Then why do you worry about whether there is no heaven? To be Christian, you positively have to believe that there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Then why do you worry about whether there is no heaven? To be Christian, you positively have to believe that there is.
    Just because I am Christian I still have doubts I can't be sure.

Just because I am Christian I still have doubts I can't be sure.
    That's agnosticism. Christianity is pretty clear -- there is a heaven, period. If you don't believe that there is, then you're not a Christian.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Christian
    Then you should have stronger faith in your belief!

ReputationRep:
    That's agnosticism. Christianity is pretty clear -- there is a heaven, period. If you don't believe that there is, then you're not a Christian.
    I think there is heaven but I am having doubts sometimes and what it takes to go to heaven.

ReputationRep:

I am sorry but the last line is very misleading. You can lead the worst of lives, and still pass away peacefully into the night.

I know you mean when the angel takes the soul but still.

I think there is heaven but I am having doubts sometimes and what it takes to go to heaven.
    Then you're more likely an agnostic theist (click the link), not a Christian. Christianity firmly preaches that there is an afterlife and that people are sorted into heaven and hell depending on how closely they've adhered to its teachings.

ReputationRep:
    Then you're more likely an agnostic theist (click the link), not a Christian. Christianity firmly preaches that there is an afterlife and that people are sorted into heaven and hell depending on how closely they've adhered to its teachings.
    I was raised Christian and my grandma and great grandma are strict christians.

None of that makes one a Christian. Religion is not heritable.

Nor is being raised as one a good reason to continue being one past the age of consciousness.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing you can do really. I mean if she's your great grandma she has lived a very long life and it was gonna happen sooner or later :console: Sorry to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StolenPrivacy)
    I am sorry but the last line is very misleading. You can lead the worst of lives, and still pass away peacefully into the night.

I know you mean when the angel takes the soul but still.
    Yeah that's what I meant, and I was talking about it from a religious point of view, like the punishment of the grave etc.

ReputationRep:
    Do you adhere to any Christian teachings? Pray? Go to Church? Believe in the Resurrection? Believe in that trinity? Believe ultimately that Jesus represents God?

It's fine to have doubts about things -- in fact this is healthy. in philosophy of religion nobody would argue that you would need to have full or near-full knowledge of something to identify on a position of any form of (a)theism (see religious epistemology) so yes, you are a Christian, even if you have doubts of how to get to Heaven.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.