Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm taking either a maths or economics degree. I want to go into ib.
    I am currently taking maths, further maths, physics, economics and chemistry for AS.
    I'm thinking of replacing chemistry with philosophy and ethics, for the purpose of doing an economics degree. Would I benefit from this? Or am I better off dropping chemistry and taking just the four.
    In other words, how important is taking an essay subject (for economics at Cambridge)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vd12345)
    Hey, I'm taking either a maths or economics degree. I want to go into ib.
    I am currently taking maths, further maths, physics, economics and chemistry for AS.
    I'm thinking of replacing chemistry with philosophy and ethics, for the purpose of doing an economics degree. Would I benefit from this? Or am I better off dropping chemistry and taking just the four.
    In other words, how important is taking an essay subject (for economics at Cambridge)?
    I did the same subjects as you (plus French). I then dropped Chemistry at A2.
    For Cambridge you need very high scores and showing you can cope with the workload of 4.5 subjects (FM as 0.5) and still do well is probably an advantage, or at least is what your competitors will do. I don't think Philosophy & Economics is better, it might be for Oxford's PPE course.
    Economics at A2 is an essay subject, you don't need two and some get in with none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I did the same subjects as you (plus French). I then dropped Chemistry at A2.
    For Cambridge you need very high scores and showing you can cope with the workload of 4.5 subjects (FM as 0.5) and still do well is probably an advantage, or at least is what your competitors will do. I don't think Philosophy & Economics is better, it might be for Oxford's PPE course.
    Economics at A2 is an essay subject, you don't need two and some get in with none.
    So in short, applying for eco with maths, fm, economics, chem and physics will not put me at a disadvantage to somebody who has 2 essay subjects?

ReputationRep:
    So in short, applying for eco with maths, fm, economics, chem and physics will not put me at a disadvantage to somebody who has 2 essay subjects?
    Definitely not.
    Most Cambridge applicants have Maths FM & Economics. Their remaining subjects tend to be either all science or all humanities. I didn't see any evidence that Cambridge preferred one rather than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    Definitely not.
    Most Cambridge applicants have Maths FM & Economics. Their remaining subjects tend to be either all science or all humanities. I didn't see any evidence that Cambridge preferred one rather than the other.
    Cheers.
    Is fm regarded as half an a level for eco? I think you implied it?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.
    Is fm regarded as half an a level for eco? I think you implied it?
    It depends what you mean by "regarded".

In terms of workload most people who are capable of getting A* in maths will not find Maths & FM as much work as two separate A levels, and many if not most selective schools timetable it as only one and a half subjects- in my school it was one subject (Maths & FM together).

In terms of offers, you would typically get asked for A* in Maths plus A in Economics and a.n.other. If you completed Maths a year early you may get asked for the A* in FM or Economics. So it "counts" as two A levels.

For UMS averages your Maths & FM scores are important but are averaged together to form one of your three subjects.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.