Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my nose pierced almost 2 months ago, and it was healing fine but about a month after I got it done I noticed a red bump next to it. I think this may have happened because whilst cleaning it a few days before, some of the crusting caused the piercing to bleed, and after that it had been sore and gross. I've been doing sea salt soaks every day as well as using diluted tea tree oil on my nose stud, and although it seems to shrink it never seems to stay down or go away! Could it be something to do with the way it was pierced or with the material? As it was pierced with a gun with surgical steel. It isn't as bad as I've seen and it has never smelt so I don't think it's infected, but I am just sick of it being there now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyanne98)
    I got my nose pierced almost 2 months ago, and it was healing fine but about a month after I got it done I noticed a red bump next to it. I think this may have happened because whilst cleaning it a few days before, some of the crusting caused the piercing to bleed, and after that it had been sore and gross. I've been doing sea salt soaks every day as well as using diluted tea tree oil on my nose stud, and although it seems to shrink it never seems to stay down or go away! Could it be something to do with the way it was pierced or with the material? As it was pierced with a gun with surgical steel. It isn't as bad as I've seen and it has never smelt so I don't think it's infected, but I am just sick of it being there now!
    It sounds like it might be developing into a keloid scar- I only say that because I had the same issue with a tragus piercing and it was very frustrating (though I do think it's more common for cartilage piercings, and for some reason it hasn't happened with my nose piercing). I used the same things as you, especially tea tree oil, but unfortunately nothing worked and I just had to take it out after a few months. It's up to you whether you want to wait it out a bit longer, but I think making sure it isn't disturbed or touched much (apart from when you're cleaning it etc.) is probably the best way to get it to settle- beyond that it's a kind of 'wait and see' situation I think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.