Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for 2016 entry and I haven't sent my application yet. I plan to do computer science and the uni's I have chosen are Queen Mary, Birmingham, KCL, Loughborough, and Kent. What your experiences like at UNI?. What the accommodations like?

ReputationRep:
    Your uni experience will be what you make of it. Some people have an awful time at uni for varying reasons, and some people absolutely love uni for varying reasons.

I did not like university accommodation, for only 2 reasons really. For 1, I didn't get along with most of my flatmates. We were polar opposites and they were very inconsiderate, I spent most of my time next door. And secondly, unless you can sleep through anything and get get to sleep when it's noisy you don't get much sleep (and yes I wore ear plugs). However I don't regret going to university accommodation in my first year, living there was the only reason I met the friends and people I live with now. So it was worth it. First year was a blast, not going to lie. But there were downsides.

I personally like uni, but it's not the magical fun palace everyone makes it out to be. It's not a breeze with no problems. For the first time in your life (assuming you're not a mature student and are moving out from home) you will be completely responsible for every aspect of your life, and no one will be there to make you do things. You have to have the initiative to pay your rent, cook your dinners and do your work (most of it is outside of university). And then come second year, you are responsible for finding your own house, people to move in with and in a lot of cases you have to pay your own bills.

Now I personally like all this, as I understand and appreciate that with freedom comes responsibility. But I am just forewarning you, you have to go to university as an adult or you could find yourself in a spot of bother down the line.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be periods of doing absolutely nothing followed by intense periods of extreme stress, all mixed with alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Like the above poster said, it's what you make of it.

I also hated university accommodation. It was brand new, and I was paying £165 a week for it, I didn't get what I applied for. I hated the fact it was catered. Dinner started at 4pm?! I hate being told when I have to eat and what I have to eat. I got on well with my housemates, and still see them now they've graduated. I hated it also because security would patrol around with cameras on their jackets making sure you don't have fun passed 10pm. No music allowed. We all got plenty of sleep....Too much sleep

I strongly recommend you join a sports team/society. This is probably one of the most enriching parts of university life.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone really appreciate your comments. It's true it's what you do at that makes it fun and enjoyable. I understand university is complete different to schools and colleges but what are the lectures like. Do you get much support from the tutors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All of your lecture powerpoints are available on moodle, but you still have to attend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waliid)
    Thanks everyone really appreciate your comments. It's true it's what you do at that makes it fun and enjoyable. I understand university is complete different to schools and colleges but what are the lectures like. Do you get much support from the tutors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This will vary from uni to uni, course to course and individual lecturers and tutors. I've had some lecturers which were good at engaging a class and making a subject interesting. On the other hand I have had lecturers who were incredibly boring and just read off the slides word for word.

I don't know about other universities, but at mine (LJMU) there is a big emphasis on support and giving their students as much information and opportunities as possible to succeed. However, they're not going to come running to you to help you. If you need help, advice or information YOU need to take the initiative to go and get it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.