The Student Room Group

Seeking Advice For Postgrad Study

Currently 19 years old.

43 points at IB with 7, 7, 7 in Latin, Medieval History and Art.

2nd year undergraduate Ancient History student at the University of Bristol with 2.1/1st grades.

Regularly write for student paper Epigram, have a weekly slot on the radio and am an able DJ performing occasionally at various clubs.

Have worked full-time as a copywriter for a Music PR company over summer, continuing part-time remotely whilst studying in tandem.

I would like to apply to Oxbridge for a master's in Ancient/Medieval History or Philosophy or Literature and Arts.

The one catch to my application is that over summer I acquired a "Railway Byelaw Caution (non-recordable offence)" for "Unacceptable Behaviour on the Railway" after a drunken misdemeanour on result's night of First Year. Was arrested on grounds of a more serious allegation which was later unequivocally dismissed [without court]. Neither violent nor sexual. I am wondering to what extent this would hinder an application, if at all. I hope you can understand my concern.

Many thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone? :bricks:
Original post by chtt99

I would like to apply to Oxbridge for a master's in Ancient/Medieval History or Philosophy or Literature and Arts.

The one catch to my application is that over summer I acquired a "Railway Byelaw Caution (non-recordable offence)" for "Unacceptable Behaviour on the Railway" after a drunken misdemeanour on result's night of First Year. Was arrested on grounds of a more serious allegation which was later unequivocally dismissed [without court]. Neither violent nor sexual. I am wondering to what extent this would hinder an application, if at all. I hope you can understand my concern.

Unless you are applying for a course requiring a DBS check (ie. teaching, nursing etc) no University will do any sort of background check on you. And even if they did, being drunk on a train isn't serious enough to bother anyone. Stop worrying.
Reply 3
University applications normally have sections asking if you have ever had a criminal conviction.
Reply 4
1) It's "non-recordable" so (IANAL) it's not a criminal offence

2) They wouldn't be that worried by this offence even if it was criminal.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/university-policies/criminal-convictions
They won't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending