Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

My sixth form gave me ill advice throughout my studies at AS. I originally intended on doing A-level Music and was told after summer it would not be running at my school. Music is my passion and I`m desperate to study it at Manchester/top university.

I`ve exhausted everything. I looked at other sixth forms to move to last year however, run the risk of jeopardizing my current AS-level studies which had dipped in performance on results day. I`ve tried moving this year however has been more difficult than before. I`ve looked at possible foundation courses which have proved not right for me personally regarding financial and travel costs. I`ve also tried looking at advanced diplomas which are more focused on production side of music rather than traditional as I play grade 8 on a brass instrument which is not ideal .

Furthermore, I've considered a gap year to study it all in one year, however, other schools will not accept this purely on the government funding needed for a student in full time education. I wouldn't be in school for the correct amount of hours weekly to be classed as a student. Additionally there has been problems with the new syllabus for Music being released in 2016 and even if it was possible being able to teach me it in the year.

My last option is to study Grade 8 theory next year however only some universities accept this.

I`m worried and shocked at how difficult this last year has been and scared about my future. All I want to do is study A-level Music to go onto uni with it,I`m a strong student with good grades and I never expected Sixth Form to be this difficult.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I`m lost for ideas?

Thank You
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allofthestars)
    Hi everyone,

My sixth form gave me ill advice throughout my studies at AS. I originally intended on doing A-level Music and was told after summer it would not be running at my school. Music is my passion and I`m desperate to study it at Manchester/top university.

I`ve exhausted everything. I looked at other sixth forms to move to last year however, run the risk of jeopardizing my current AS-level studies which had dipped in performance on results day. I`ve tried moving this year however has been more difficult than before. I`ve looked at possible foundation courses which have proved not right for me personally regarding financial and travel costs. I`ve also tried looking at advanced diplomas which are more focused on production side of music rather than traditional as I play grade 8 on a brass instrument which is not ideal .

Furthermore, I've considered a gap year to study it all in one year, however, other schools will not accept this purely on the government funding needed for a student in full time education. I wouldn't be in school for the correct amount of hours weekly to be classed as a student. Additionally there has been problems with the new syllabus for Music being released in 2016 and even if it was possible being able to teach me it in the year.

My last option is to study Grade 8 theory next year however only some universities accept this.

I`m worried and shocked at how difficult this last year has been and scared about my future. All I want to do is study A-level Music to go onto uni with it,I`m a strong student with good grades and I never expected Sixth Form to be this difficult.

Thank You
    Have you checked out UCAS Progress to see if there are any institutions who offers your subjects and music? Or maybe think of studying it independently or maybe do something like consortium. I'm not sure if you have this but some schools work with other schools so that you can travel to another school to do a subject that is only offered there, that might help.

If possible, you might want to call up the university and asks for alternative qualifications you can take to get there. I wish I could help more.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allofthestars)
    Hi everyone,

Thank You

Sorry if this is pretty late, I've only just stumbled across your post, but I was in this exact position during my A level years. Up to sixth form I had my heart set on going into medical or biological degrees, and this changed completely during Year 12, when I realised that my dream all along had been the music I'd been training in since I was 7, but none of my A levels were Music based, and I spent a lot of time trying to swop my A levels around and even offered to take a year out to complete the Music A level, but my school didn't particularly like that idea, and basically said that I wasn't able to do it. I thought about taking a year out and finishing the A level at a college, but this was before I discovered that I could do my Grade 8 theory, since I had already completed my Grade 8 practical back in year 11.

I was so determined to pass this exam and as soon as I finished school, I worked so hard during the beginning of my gap year to be able to get through it - I secured a few hours of teaching with a tutor to help fill in the gaps in my knowledge, but I got through it, and now I'm going off to Cardiff in September to do the BMus course.

Yes, you're right, there are a lot of universities that won't accept anything other than Music A level, and I think Manchester is one of those universities, but if you really want to chase your dream in Music, then it's more about finding the right opportunities to get there. And there are plenty of brilliant universities that will accept you with Grade 8 theory and Grade 8 Practical without Music A level.

Basically, to sum it up, it's entirely possible to get your Grade 8 theory done in a gap year and apply to do Music at university. But really do try to focus on your current studies, because they will give you the UCAS points/Grades that you need. I did A levels that were nothing to do with music (Biology, Geography and Chemistry) and I knew that I wasn't really enjoying doing a particular A level that I struggled with, and wasn't something I wanted to do after university, but I got through it, and it's brought me here, so I'm happy that I managed to accomplish something that others said I couldn't possibly do.

Not only that, but my AS levels were nothing like they should have been, and this made me want to swop them even more, but it wasn't possible, so I had to find a different route... Grade 8 theory. Yes it narrowed down the list of universities that I could apply for, but I've been accepted into my favourite and there are plenty of brilliant BMus or BA Music courses out there.

Final advice: really do have a massive research on the universities that will accept you for grade 8 theory and practical - look at their course modules, look at the actual universities and narrow it down to find the places that are most suited to you.

I hope this has helped, I know I was as worried as you are now, but I can tell you that if you've got the determination to push through grade 8 theory after school then it's 100% possible! Don't be scared, or worried, just believe in yourself that you can follow your passions

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.