Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What does this quote mean from To Kill A Mockingbird watch

ReputationRep:
    “people like the Ewell’s lived as guests of the county in prosperity as well as in the depths of a depression."

I was wondering what that quote means. Personally i thought it meant that because The Ewells are poor they are suffering from the depression but are also benefiting from it? I don't know if im right, probably not.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    “people like the Ewell’s lived as guests of the county in prosperity as well as in the depths of a depression."

I was wondering what that quote means. Personally i thought it meant that because The Ewells are poor they are suffering from the depression but are also benefiting from it? I don't know if im right, probably not.

Thanks in advance
    'guests of the county' basically means they get money from the county, like benefits because they don't have a job and they have loads of kids. So meanwhile everyone who has a job is suffering from the depression, the Ewells benefit from state support.

ReputationRep:

"Prosperity" just means like the guy above clarified of how they receive benefits. Depression means more than one thing I believe. It's ambiguous. They are in this depression ("as well as") so ignore what halfhearted said above.

I take this depression to be how they are overloaded with kids and there's no reprieve. The Ewell's will always be lower class and won't be able to find jobs because none of the kids receive a full-time education. They literally sit about all day doing nothing. They're stunted fortunes will never be alleviated, and so they are melancholy. The man of the house is also likely to be an abuser, as he raped that girl, furthering their misery for both child and adult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)

Thanks in advance
    It means that they live on handouts from the county (benefits) even when there are plenty of jobs about that they could do (times of prosperity), as well as during the Depression (when the economy is bad and there is no work available for them to do.) It is saying that they are unwilling to work at any time and they live off other people, regardless of whether there are jobs around or not. It is a criticism of the family as lazy and not useful citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    It means that they live on handouts from the county (benefits) even when there are plenty of jobs about that they could do (times of prosperity), as well as during the Depression (when the economy is bad and there is no work available for them to do.) It is saying that they are unwilling to work at any time and they live off other people, regardless of whether there are jobs around or not. It is a criticism of the family as lazy and not useful citizens.
    Isn't the "depths of a depression" referring to the Ewell's themselves and not the country? Or was I just a massive idiot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Isn't the "depths of a depression" referring to the Ewell's themselves and not the country? Or was I just a massive idiot?
    No, it's an economic depression that is being referred to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.