Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with this question?

For a normal ultrasound scan, the waves travel at a speed of 1500m/s. For a detailed image, the wavelength should be no more than 1.0mm.

What frequency is needed?

ReputationRep:
    Use v = f x lamda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Use v = f x lamda
    i thought so and get a answer of 1.5*10^6 Hz but thought it was too big

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctor_2_be)
    Ultrasound freq > 20,000Hz so that's about right.

ReputationRep:
    ok,

thanx

ReputationRep:
    No that's correct, most pregnancy scans use a frequency much higher so don't worry about it being too high. Remember that a sound wave with a frequency of 20000Hz or higher is classified as an ultrasound wave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasaminO_o)
    No that's correct, most pregnancy scans use a frequency much higher so don't worry about it being too high. Remember that a sound wave with a frequency of 20000Hz or higher is classified as an ultrasound wave
    thanx
    ive recently been doubting everything i know so thought i'd double check

ReputationRep:
    thanx
    ive recently been doubting everything i know so thought i'd double check
    No worries, is this BMAT prep? I had a similar meltdown the other day as well lol

ReputationRep:
    No worries, is this BMAT prep? I had a similar meltdown the other day as well lol
    no physics homeworl

ReputationRep:
    no physics homeworl
    Oh whoops sorry I assumed from your username :')

ReputationRep:
    Oh whoops sorry I assumed from your username :'
    dont worry about it, i wanted to go into medicine but then i developed a phobia to blood

ReputationRep:
    do you know how i would do this?

A string is stretched and then the left end is oscillated up and down The 2 points on the string are labelled A and B. Rotate the vectors to show the direction of the wave velocity at the indicated points.

thanx

Oh whoops sorry I assumed from your username :'
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx wave vector.docx (245.0 KB, 55 views)

ReputationRep:
    do you know how i would do this?

A string is stretched and then the left end is oscillated up and down The 2 points on the string are labelled A and B. Rotate the vectors to show the direction of the wave velocity at the indicated points.

thanx
    Is it asking you to change the direction of the arrows to show the direction of the wave velocity? Because the diagram looks wrong to me. The arrows, if showing the direction of the wave velocity, should both be pointing to the right if the string is being oscillated from the left hand side. If you wanted to show the direction of the velocity of points A and B, the arrow at A should be pointing down and the arrow at point B should be pointing up.

Otherwise, if it's asking you to use special formulae, I have no clue, I only did Mechanics 1 lol

ReputationRep:
    Is it asking you to change the direction of the arrows to show the direction of the wave velocity? Because the diagram looks wrong to me, the arrows, if showing the direction of the wave velocity, should both be pointing to the right if the string is being oscillated from the left hand side. If you wanted to show the direction of the velocity of points A and B, the arrow at A should be pointing down and the arrow at point B should be pointing up.

Otherwise, if it's asking you to use special formulae, I have no clue, I only did Mechanics 1 lol
    yea, need to change the position of the arrows... thats what i thought but being the fact its to with vectors i wasnt 100% sure

ReputationRep:
    yea, need to change the position of the arrows... thats what i thought but being the fact its to with vectors i wasnt 100% sure
    No worries

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.