Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Spanish- does this make sense? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so Im currently doing spanish AS and practising tenses;

present perfect

so if you wanted to say 'i have lived in England for 10 years', i understand it would be
    'He vivido en Inglaterra durante 10 años'

however, could you say
    'He haber vivir en Inglaterra durante 10 años'? does it still mean the same?

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    'He vivido en Inglaterra por 10 años'
    Durante means during, if you want to say to do something for or to have been living for a period of time, you use por.

And nope, the second bit makes no sense as you're just using infinitive forms of verbs.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, (if I'm not mistaken), to say this you would need 'desde hace' and the present tense:

Vivo en Inglaterra desde hace 10 años.

And no the second sentence would not make sense, because 'he' is the conjugated form of 'haber' so you already have it in the sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Durante means during, if you want to say to do something for or to have been living for a period of time, you use por.

And nope, the second bit makes no sense as you're just using infinitive forms of verbs.
    ah okay thank you! i did check on google translate and it said it makes sense but i know what it can be like so i thought i'd check on here! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoafanuk)
    First of all, (if I'm not mistaken), to say this you would need 'desde hace' and the present tense:

Vivo en Inglaterra desde hace 10 años.

And no the second sentence would not make sense, because 'he' is the conjugated form of 'haber' so you already have it in the sentence.

im trying to say 'i have been' not 'i do' if that makes sense. thank you! it didnt get to me that he is the conjugated form! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)

Not quite so. It is true that “durante” would be used as during, but also as for in certain cases.

“He vivido en inglaterra durante 10 años” sounds the most natural to me, whereas “He vivido por 10 años” sounds really weird (Maybe in some south american countries the say it like that, but I can assure you that in Spain durante would fit better)

As for your second question, haber vivir doesn't make any sense. For translating “I have lived” (Present perfect) you'll always use the present tense “He” plus the past participle “vivido”.

(I am spanish, and spanish is my mother tongue)

ReputationRep:
    [/u]

im trying to say 'i have been' not 'i do' if that makes sense. thank you! it didnt get to me that he is the conjugated form! thanks
    Yes I know, desde hace is translated as being in the past but you use the present tense with it.

No problem!

ReputationRep:
    [/u]

If you say: He vivido en Inglaterra durante 10 años you mean, I have lived there for 10 years, but you are not specifying if you still live there.
    If you say: He vivido en Inglaterra desde hace 10 años, you mean that you are currently living there.

ReputationRep:
    so Im currently doing spanish AS and practising tenses;

present perfect

so if you wanted to say 'i have lived in England for 10 years', i understand it would be
    'He vivido en Inglaterra durante 10 años'

however, could you say
    'He haber vivir en Inglaterra durante 10 años'? does it still mean the same?

thank you!
    Stick to the first translation, though you could also replace "durante" with "desde hace" to imply you still live here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    Not quite so. It is true that “durante” would be used as during, but also as for in certain cases.

“He vivido en inglaterra durante 10 años” sounds the most natural to me, whereas “He vivido por 10 años” sounds really weird (Maybe in some south american countries the say it like that, but I can assure you that in Spain durante would fit better)

As for your second question, haber vivir doesn't make any sense. For translating “I have lived” (Present perfect) you'll always use the present tense “He” plus the past participle “vivido”.

(I am spanish, and spanish is my mother tongue)
    thank you! so i take it that 'he viví' doesn't make sense either?

ReputationRep:
    If you say: He vivido en Inglaterra durante 10 años you mean, I have lived there for 10 years, but you are not specifying if you still live there.
    If you say: He vivido en Inglaterra desde hace 10 años, you mean that you are currently living there.
    thank you! i've made a note of that!

ReputationRep:
    thank you! so i take it that 'he viví' doesn't make sense either?
    Viví is the past simple (I lived).
    You could say “Viví en inglaterra durante 10 años” I lived in England for 10 years.
    But the structure for the present perfect doesn't change, it's always as I said, he vivido.

In spanish, whenever you use “Haber” as an auxiliar verb, it is always followed by the past participle, as in english.

ReputationRep:
    Viví is the past simple (I lived).
    You could say “Viví en inglaterra durante 10 años” I lived in England for 10 years.
    But the structure for the present perfect doesn't change, it's always as I said, he vivido.

In spanish, whenever you use “Haber” as an auxiliar verb, it is always followed by the past participle, as in english.
    ah i see, thank you! your explainations are great!

ReputationRep:
    ah i see, thank you! your explainations are great!
    You're welcome, glad to help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.