Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So next year I am looking to apply for places like UCL, maybe Cambridge for economics/ maths with economics. I have good grades at GCSE (11A*) and think I will get good predicted grades but I don't have many extrac curriculars since I don't play a musical instrument or have any talents.

I play badminton at a leisure centre but I don't play in any competitions. I volunteer at Oxfam but I don't have a senior position or anything like that. I teach a year 7 struggling student maths through my school's maths buddy scheme. Also, I write an economics blog but I only get like 10 views a week. I am also self teaching myself German but I am not fluent. I did NCS.

So you can see that I have no particular things that I excel in such as being captain of the first 11 football team. But when I see personal statements for really good universities I see people writing about completing gold dofe (I only just started bronze) and playing abroad for the orchestra. Is there any chance of me getting even considered by these universities. Also, is there anythingI can do now to put in my personal statement next year?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Lol you might want to skip dofe bronze and just start with silver

ReputationRep:
    Extra-curricular stuff should only make up about 1/5 of your personal statement - what unis will want to read about is why you are interested in your course and any relevant experience in that area (this can include reading particular texts, going to a lecture/conference, an exhibition, summer schools etc).

Playing football, volunteering, self-teaching German is all interesting, but doesn't tell the university why they should pick you for that course and why you would be a good academic asset to them - at the end of the day it is all about reputation and they will want to know what you can give to them in the world of academia, football is largely irrelevant, but include it at the end.

Super-curricular activities are what you should be aiming for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nmys)
    Extra-curricular stuff should only make up about 1/5 of your personal statement - what unis will want to read about is why you are interested in your course and any relevant experience in that area (this can include reading particular texts, going to a lecture/conference, an exhibition, summer schools etc).

Playing football, volunteering, self-teaching German is all interesting, but doesn't tell the university why they should pick you for that course and why you would be a good academic asset to them - at the end of the day it is all about reputation and they will want to know what you can give to them in the world of academia, football is largely irrelevant, but include it at the end.

Super-curricular activities are what you should be aiming for.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coollad1999)
    So next year I am looking to apply for places like UCL, maybe Cambridge for economics/ maths with economics. I have good grades at GCSE (11A*) and think I will get good predicted grades but I don't have many extrac curriculars since I don't play a musical instrument or have any talents.

I play badminton at a leisure centre but I don't play in any competitions. I volunteer at Oxfam but I don't have a senior position or anything like that. I teach a year 7 struggling student maths through my school's maths buddy scheme. Also, I write an economics blog but I only get like 10 views a week. I am also self teaching myself German but I am not fluent. I did NCS.

So you can see that I have no particular things that I excel in such as being captain of the first 11 football team. But when I see personal statements for really good universities I see people writing about completing gold dofe (I only just started bronze) and playing abroad for the orchestra. Is there any chance of me getting even considered by these universities. Also, is there anythingI can do now to put in my personal statement next year?
    Cambridge in particular won't give a damn about such matters.

ReputationRep:
    all these things mean absolutely nothing to future unis unless you absolutely excel such an international badminton player or cricketer. The fact you mentoring is very useful. It shows you help others and are not totally self centred and that will stand you in good light. If you intend studying Economics or Maths the key issue with top universities is your Mathematical ability and most expect you to be taking Maths and usually getting a grade A at A level. LSE actually go further and want A level Further Maths as well.

Concentrate your interest part of the PS on your mentoring and volunteering and just add your interests. Unis will judge you on your academic ability and suitability of A level subjects taken not on whether you can play piano or play for a local football team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    all these things mean absolutely nothing to future unis unless you absolutely excel such an international badminton player or cricketer. The fact you mentoring is very useful. It shows you help others and are not totally self centred and that will stand you in good light. If you intend studying Economics or Maths the key issue with top universities is your Mathematical ability and most expect you to be taking Maths and usually getting a grade A at A level. LSE actually go further and want A level Further Maths as well.

Concentrate your interest part of the PS on your mentoring and volunteering and just add your interests. Unis will judge you on your academic ability and suitability of A level subjects taken not on whether you can play piano or play for a local football team.
    Ok thank you for the info

ReputationRep:
    Join a reenactment club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coollad1999)

Sounds to me like you have plenty of extra-curricular stuff to talk about - remember at least 80% of the PS should be academic. I did one sentence I think on my extra-curriculars, which was a biweekly group I attended in year 12 in which we debated current affairs and did University Challenge questions. Focus on academic things like wider reading and attending lectures/taster days in my opinion

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.