Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TeachFirst International Students Sponsorship watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are there any prospective/existing TeachFirst participants who are not from the EU region at the moment? I'm a prospective and there seems to be some uncertainty around international students in TF. Emailed them but got passed around with no definite answers. I have UK uni qualifications and am currently still studying here.

Their website states this:

"Yes, we do accept overseas applicants. Candidates who need a visa to work in the UK have until April to produce the relevant documentation. This documentation must prove your eligibility to work in the UK for the Summer Institute and the two-year programme in its entirety."

"Unfortunately we are unable to assist in the visa application or sponsoring process. Applicants who require a visa to work in the UK must obtain this independently of Teach First.Offers to join the Leadership Development Programme are conditional upon candidates successfully demonstrating our competencies, meeting our academic requirements and proving they have the right to remain and work in the UK for the duration of the Summer Institute training and two-year programme.Candidates requiring a visa to work in the UK have until May to produce the documentation to Teach First. This documentation must prove eligibility to work in the UK for the Summer Institute and the two-year programme in its entirety."

So for the first, I would say yes, I would be eligible to work under T2 shortage visa after getting my degree. But, to obtain that visa, I would need a valid sponsor that is of the establishment that I am going to work with. Since TF does not offer to sponsor the process, wouldn't I be stuck in a rut between the Home Office and TF?

To make it clear - TF needs me to have a work visa, but does not sponsor it. HO offers a work visa only with sponsorship from the organisation.

So, who should be my sponsor then?

I'm not 100% sure about how the whole TF system works, but is it a possibility that I need to get a sponsorship from a local school instead? Even so, TF allocates placements to students at random. Would they allow a self-sourced establishment?

Please, if they're any existing international students in TF that have a workaround this dilemma, please get in touch with me. Any other thoughts are welcome too. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.