Turn on thread page Beta

Tips and Advice for Personal Statement: Computer Science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Currently In the process of writing up my personal statement for university (applying in 2016). Hoping to do Computer Science at university, just wondering if anyone has any tips for this?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    have you done any programming outside of your A-Levels? If so you should talk about that in your personal statement? Have you read any computer science theory or any mathematics related to computer science out of class, if so add that to your PS.

ReputationRep:
    Currently on my final year so we're bound to cover it this year. Will have research independently also and will also do more research on Computer Science and anything related, should I just relate back to it all in my Personal Statement? Also anything else you might suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Books related to CS you've read, known programming languages or any kind of experience with any other CS domain (cryptography, Web Development, game development, etc)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Perhaps something you've done in school or on your own which sparked your interest in a particular topic or module covered in the CS course?

edit: when you mention extracurriculars, only mention those which are relevant to the degree. CS obviously wants candidates who are good at working in teams, good collaborative and independent working skills, leadership skills etc. etc.

Basically, SHOW that you have in interest, don't just say you have an interest.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry if you don't have much programming experience; whilst it can help show passion for the subject, it's not essential.

A lot of mine was focused on my love for problem solving. Both the challenge of doing so and the fact I can use my problem solving ability to benefit others and find solutions to their problems. I linked to how I'm always the 'go to' person amongst my family and friends for any technical issues.

Talk about areas of interest that you wish to explore. Computer Science is a very technical subject and is continuously evolving - the admissions tutors won't expect you to have knowledge in every area. I said that I can't wait to study artificial intelligence and then mentioned a book that I had started to read.

To be honest, I think CS is a subject where there is less emphasis on the statement. As long as you show passion for the subject and a willingness to learn and put in effort, you should be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.