Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Looking for someone want to learn Chinese/Mandarin watch

ReputationRep:
    hope to find an English speaking student who desired to learn a second language.I am from China I will make sure you will get better improvement than any other language studying agencies can offer.In return,just chat with me in English

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American, and I speak English. What kind of Chinese do you speak? Mandarin, Cantonese, etc?

EDIT: Oh, it said Mandarin in the title... I didn't see it earlier, sorry. Yeah, that's good. I've heard that's the most common one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    I'm an American, and I speak English. What kind of Chinese do you speak? Mandarin, Cantonese, etc?

EDIT: Oh, it said Mandarin in the title... I didn't see it earlier, sorry. Yeah, that's good. I've heard that's the most common one.
    HI.Mandarin is equal to Chinese in China.Actually,only a small certain amount of population speak Cantonese.Cantonese is well-known because it is commonly used in Hongkong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F-E-N)
    HI.Mandarin is equal to Chinese in China.Actually,only a small certain amount of population speak Cantonese.Cantonese is well-known because it is commonly used in Hongkong.
    Oh, I thought it was more common than that. Well, I would definitely be interested in learning Mandarin.

I can definitely help you out with English, though. I understood everything you said, although some of the words were in the wrong order and there was a minor error with spacing. Let's go through the errors one by one.

First of all, there's a space between the period at the end of a sentence and the beginning of the next sentence. There is also a space after the insertion of a comma.

Without that error, your sentence would look like this:

HI. Mandarin is equal to Chinese in China. Actually, only a small certain amount of population speak Cantonese. Cantonese is well-known because it is commonly used in Hongkong.
    Next, you wrote Hong Kong as a single word, but we write it as two words in English. If that were corrected, your sentence would look like this:

HI. Mandarin is equal to Chinese in China. Actually, only a small certain amount of population speak Cantonese. Cantonese is well-known because it is commonly used in Hong Kong.
    You misused the word "amount" here. When we say amount, we're usually talking about a specific number. For instance, you could say that the amount of apples in a barrel is 50. But the context of your sentence implies that you're talking about a ratio. So you would want to use "percentage" or "portion" rather than "amount" here.

Certain is technically superfluous, but you would need to put it before "small" if you choose to include it for emphasis.

You need to insert the definite article "the" before population, because you're referring to an aforementioned population, and although you can omit a repeated noun, you still to properly reference it.

I'm not sure whether this is actually incorrect, but I rarely hear people using the word "equal" the way you're using it here. We would usually use "equivalent" outside of Mathematics.

Finally, I notice you capitalised "Hi", although I'm not sure whether that was an accident or something done for emphasis. While some people do capitalise a word for emphasis, this isn't technically correct. The correct way to express emphasis in text would be to use an exclamation point, or in some cases by using italicised text.

Your final sentence would look something like this:

Hi! Mandarin is equivalent to Chinese in China. Actually, only a small percentage of the population speak Cantonese. Cantonese is well-known because it is commonly used in Hong Kong.
    Hopefully my instruction was helpful. Bear in mind that I'm not a teacher and hold no specific qualifications to teach English. If there's anything I can do better in the future, let me know.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.