Turn on thread page Beta

Everyone Who Just Did A-levels Plz Read watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes AS was quite easy.....A2 on the other hand is not. I have just done sociology A2 ( as well as 2 other A2's). I did not find it easy at all. and that is coming from someone who gained 100% in 2 of the AS papers and 90+& in the other paper. (im not bragging just making a point to the unregistered person ) A2 is never easy, I worked very hard this year and still found the work more difficult. If you think your going to get 2A's then well done to you, but do not underestimate others hard effort that they have put into their studies.
    As for the original point about the media, I totally agree with the original poster, the media are always saying' exams are easier' if they think that then, i think they should sit them, perhaps it can however be argied that they are 'slightly' easier than the old a-level because you must sit more exams and therefore learn more material, however i cannot comment as i have never sat the old a-level exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    For those who think A levels aren't getting easier, there might be something wrong with your thinking. For a start, consider why places like oxbridge have a separate maths exam now for entry - the a level syllabus just doesn't cover enough to be able to bridge the gap and it has been noted that less and less people can do this exam (which has stayed the same over years). Why is this? A levels are getting easier.

Having said this, since I'm doing AS, hopefully I'm inclined to think that I'll get good grades on the basis of my intelligence and not because of papers that have been dumbed down to appeal more to the mainstream.

And unregistered, fair enough you may be very happy with your grades which might not be 2 A's, but there's no need to get jealous and show your spite to people who will get grades like this and will be quite rightly proud of them.
    STEP? LOL. There easier than A levels. People Come on here saying they've done step 2 and 3, I think they'd sound more intelligent just saying they've done pure 6 because STEP are a waste of time, theres nothing different on them to a decent Pure 5/6 + Mechs 5/6 + Stats 5/6 paper and its a lot more vague tha nthe actually A level. I recentely found out about STEP and got hold of some of the past exam papers for this, Believe me if you've done A Level Further Maths these aren't difficult, just a money making scheme. What A levels are you doing? Tree Surgery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir I. Newton)
    STEP? LOL. There easier than A levels. People Come on here saying they've done step 2 and 3, I think they'd sound more intelligent just saying they've done pure 6 because STEP are a waste of time, theres nothing different on them to a decent Pure 5/6 + Mechs 5/6 + Stats 5/6 paper and its a lot more vague tha nthe actually A level. I recentely found out about STEP and got hold of some of the past exam papers for this, Believe me if you've done A Level Further Maths these aren't difficult, just a money making scheme. What A levels are you doing? Tree Surgery?
    sorry but you are talking utter crap! Which STEP papers have you done? Hoe do you know your solutions were correct AND full? Have you done them under pressure in exam situations? Have you even done any further maths? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? STEP is generally regarded as harder than A-levels because you aren't guided through the qustions and they require a lot greater insight etc .

You are correct in that they are no different in content ie syllabus to A-level but the questions are much more open ended and longer. I may be wrong - you may get SS on STEP II,III but somehow I doubt that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    sorry but you are talking utter crap! Which STEP papers have you done? Hoe do you know your solutions were correct AND full? Have you done them under pressure in exam situations? Have you even done any further maths? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? STEP is generally regarded as harder than A-levels because you aren't guided through the qustions and they require a lot greater insight etc .

You are correct in that they are no different in content ie syllabus to A-level but the questions are much more open ended and longer. I may be wrong - you may get SS on STEP II,III but somehow I doubt that...
    I have done the past 3 years STEP papers, 1 2 and 3. I know my solutions are correct because I got the mark schemes with them. I haven't done them under pressure in exam situations because i've not done them in an exam. I have done A Level Maths, A level Further Maths and Advanced Additional AS Level Maths (MEI OCR B) which includes P1 - P6, M1 - M6, S1 - S2, DD1. I have been accepted to do the MMath Degree Course at Liverpool University. I believe all this suggests I have a fair Idea about maths. STEP maybe regarded as harder than A level maths by you, but I consider it to be no harder than MEI Structured Maths.

I suggest they make minor alternarations to the system.

Have 200 points for AS and 400 points for A2.

In this way, people will know, a good grade came from the A2 part of the A levels, which is probably the harderst thing in the world!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have done the past 3 years STEP papers, 1 2 and 3. I know my solutions are correct because I got the mark schemes with them. I haven't done them under pressure in exam situations because i've not done them in an exam. I have done A Level Maths, A level Further Maths and Advanced Additional AS Level Maths (MEI OCR B) which includes P1 - P6, M1 - M6, S1 - S2, DD1. I have been accepted to do the MMath Degree Course at Liverpool University. I believe all this suggests I have a fair Idea about maths. STEP maybe regarded as harder than A level maths by you, but I consider it to be no harder than MEI Structured Maths.
    ok if you find STEP and double maths so easy why aren't you going to warwick or cambridge, instead of liverpool which gives a typical offer of BBC (from their website)?? Surely if you found A-Levels so easy you would have got more than this...?

ReputationRep:
    ok if you find STEP and double maths so easy why aren't you going to warwick or cambridge, instead of liverpool which gives a typical offer of BBC (from their website)?? Surely if you found A-Levels so easy you would have got more than this...?
    You've been looking at the wrong website mate, Liverpool wants 320 points. A = 120, B = 100. 120 + (2 x 100) = 320, therefore A and 2B's. As for Cambridge or Warwick, I live in the north and have commitments here and believe that I wouldn't learn anything different or differently at these two uni's. I think about Oxbridge, its just the name. It doesn't say at the end of the title of your degree the university you acquired it, like MMath (L'pool) or MMath (Oxf).

ReputationRep:
    How can anyone possibly purport to know with any certitude whether A-Levels are getting easier or not? Certain people say they have found A-Levels easy, but surely there has always been a proportion of students who have found them easy? Without having studied for both (I doubt many people would have cause for this) I don't know how you can even try to compare them. The papers are obviously very different in content too, so you can't just do a like-for-like comparison.

The A-Levels are definitely very different now from what I can gather and they might very well be easier. Bearing in mind that there exist people who are employed with the specific purpose of ensuring that standards are consistent, I don't know how anyone can really say they are getting easier.

Yes, it is easier now for people who can get 480/500 in the first 5 modules - but how do you know people weren't doing the equivalent of that before? They might have been scoring all the necessary points from 5/6ths of their exams as well, but under the old system they just wouldn't have known it. The new system is better, but not easier, in the sense it enables people to set sensible targets for themselves based on past performance.

Maybe because he sucks at everything other then maths?

ReputationRep:
    ...I wouldn't learn anything different or differently at these two uni's. I think about Oxbridge, its just the name. It doesn't say at the end of the title of your degree the university you acquired it, like MMath (L'pool) or MMath (Oxf).
    Cambridge is regarded as the best for a reason - it it the best. The research is world classs, some of the best mathematicians work there, the course is rigorous and challenging, its a lot more than just a reputation... A degree from there is harder and therefore more valuable than one from other places. And of course it matters where you got your degree from, a degree form one place in MMath is much more valued than one from onother. Otherwise everyone would go to TVU (no offence to anyone going there)

May i ask, as you have declared that you found A-level easy and that you chose not to go to top unis for non-academic reasons, what grades do you actually have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Maybe because he sucks at everything other then maths?
    I did Physics and Chemistry aswell as maths and haven't badly in them due to the fact physics is mostly maths and chemistry has some maths related areas. I don't pretend to be good at any other subjects such as the languages or humanities, i'm prepared to leave that to people who are better at those subjects than me.

oh ok, so u suck.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is regarded as the best for a reason - it it the best. The research is world classs, some of the best mathematicians work there, the course is rigorous and challenging, its a lot more than just a reputation... A degree from there is harder and therefore more valuable than one from other places. And of course it matters where you got your degree from, a degree form one place in MMath is much more valued than one from onother. Otherwise everyone would go to TVU (no offence to anyone going there)

May i ask, as you have declared that you found A-level easy and that you chose not to go to top unis for non-academic reasons, what grades do you actually have?
    Well I know my results upon till june (before my last 3 AS additional exams) P1 = A, P2 = A, P3 = A, P4 = A, P5 = A, S1 = C, S2 = A, M1 = A, M2 = B, M3 =A, M4 = A, DD1 = A. I haven't yet received my results for P6, M5 and M6. I started to get stuck into maths after I got a C for S1, I really messed up in that exam and i thought to myself I never want to feel like I felt in that exam. So ever since then i've taught myself the maths needed for the syllabuses. M2 was hard, a lot harder than i gets recognition for. But apart from that, Everything else as not been too hard. Before S1 I wasn't keen on maths, but after that when i started to work through P1, P2 and M1, i started to like maths and ive never looked back since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I found French a lot easier than Maths and Physics. Physics was the hardest.
    Actually French was easier - it was my highest grade (I was 2 marks off of a B grade - how annoying?!) but I just didn't enjoy it, even though I got low C's in Physics and Chemistry, and a D in Maths I decided to carry them on because I enjoyed them more and they will probably be more useful to a Chemistry degree than French will!!!

(Original post by Suggestions!)
    I suggest they make minor alternarations to the system.

Have 200 points for AS and 400 points for A2.

In this way, people will know, a good grade came from the A2 part of the A levels, which is probably the harderst thing in the world!

Good luck!
    hey! thats a good idea....what do others think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by only_me)
    Hello there everyone who has just done their a-levels.

In two weeks time we will find out how we did. Some will have done very well, others could have done better, but either way all of us worked very hard and we deserve ten minutes (at least!) to just wollow in self pride and sucess.

Soon all the "exams are too easy" media hype will begin, please just ignore it; it is written by people who really don't have a clue and don't understand what we do and have achieved. We are all brilliant, we deserve some recognition without trying to makes us feel frauds. We are not; we have worked and soon we will be paid off.

Well done everyone. Do not read the papers for a week after the results and have fun with your new qualifications.

"hard work is temporary, pride lasts a lifetime..."
    Thanks only_me, give yourself a pat on the back aswell

Of course the press will try to destroy whatever pride we all (hopefully) will feel come results day - that's their job. In the end, they write what sells - there's nothing stated in an article to say that it is the truth. It's a vital skill to be able to block out and ignore that which you know not to be true. Believe me, we'll all have our fair share of bulls**t later on in life that we'll have to deal with. The bottom line is that if you've done the absolute best YOU can, nobody can ask for more. Far better to compete with yourself than those around you.

I have to say that I get quite frustrated when I read posts by actual students saying the exams are getting easier. Of course these are just opinions, but in truth, you can't really compare the exams to those of years ago. So much has changed, especially in the areas of things like science where technology has changed since 20 or so years ago. If you compared my physics course (OCR B) to a 'standard' physics course from years ago I think about 50% of the content probably wasn't even invented and certainly wasn't taught. And it's not just that - some students are obviously better at coping with particular subjects than others because they have a natural talent for it. I've always been quite fortunate in that I know a lot about IT, which has made my course seem a walk in the park. Does that mean the course is too easy? No. Ask most other people from my class and they'll tell you it's hard, and it is because there are a lot of strange concepts involved. A friend of mine is very skilled at woodwork, so he has found his Design & Technology course fairly easy becase he has a natural talent for it. I know for certain that if I had tried at it I would have failed miserably and ended up making something that looks like it had been stolen from a skip.

The other thing you have to consider is the way the new AS levels are constructed. In my opinion, with the new AS level you get a second bite of the cherry, in that you can resit your AS modules during your A2 year. This means that a lot of students who have received a mark which does not truthfully reflect their ability have another chance to prove themselves and get a better grade. Suddenly the whole nation is getting better grades because of this, and of course the blame goes on 'easier exams'.

And what about coursework? When my parents were at school I don't think the idea even existed! It was make-or-break on the day of the exam. How many students back then failed to get the grade they deserved not because they didn't know their stuff, but simply because they fell to pieces during exams?

So to sum up, I can't really comment on how easier exams are these days, or indeed whether or not they're easier at all, as there's just too many things to be considered. I will say though that I really loath people who like to feed their ego on this forum by exclaiming how easy their STEP, maths of physics exams were when they know damn well that it's not the general notion within the student community. Would you honestly say that in front of all your friends at school? That kind of bragging is just arrogant and clearly shows what kind of a person they are. Anyway, to avoid ending this post in a negative attitude: Good luck everyone and enjoy yourselves on results day - YOU'VE EARNED IT.

ReputationRep:
    kinda a random point - but apparently ppl with a pass in A-level maths earn on average 25% more than those who dont.
    Cant be bad!

ReputationRep:
    The prize for best post for a while goes to Bones, a well constructed fair post, which appears well thought out, and to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    The prize for best post for a while goes to Bones, a well constructed fair post, which appears well thought out, and to the point.
    Thank you!

Well I know my results upon till june (before my last 3 AS additional exams) P1 = A, P2 = A, P3 = A, P4 = A, P5 = A, S1 = C, S2 = A, M1 = A, M2 = B, M3 =A, M4 = A, DD1 = A. I haven't yet received my results for P6, M5 and M6. I started to get stuck into maths after I got a C for S1, I really messed up in that exam and i thought to myself I never want to feel like I felt in that exam. So ever since then i've taught myself the maths needed for the syllabuses. M2 was hard, a lot harder than i gets recognition for. But apart from that, Everything else as not been too hard. Before S1 I wasn't keen on maths, but after that when i started to work through P1, P2 and M1, i started to like maths and ive never looked back since.
    Your quote above from 3rd July would seem to contradict what you told us above your achievements on 29th July. Please clarify!!!!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.