Everyone Who Just Did A-levels Plz Read Watch

This discussion is closed.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Actually French was easier - it was my highest grade (I was 2 marks off of a B grade - how annoying?!) but I just didn't enjoy it, even though I got low C's in Physics and Chemistry, and a D in Maths I decided to carry them on because I enjoyed them more and they will probably be more useful to a Chemistry degree than French will!!!
Yeah, it's better to carry on with the subjects you enjoy and that are gonna benefit you in the long run . Since I only did 3, I didn't get to drop.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
My last post seems a little muddled. What confuses me is that at 5.23pm on 3/7/03 Sir.I.Newton tells us on Maths/Further Maths thread that he started his AS Maths last September and Further Maths in March this year. Now he has done 18 modules in June and awaits his results, despite previously stating he would be doing all the modules next January!! I think we all need clarification just what he has/hasn't done and whether he has been telling porkies. An old saying - 'A liar needs a good memory'.
Kathy123
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey....that guy before, who stated something about AS levels should have 200 points and A2 levels should have 400 points....

I think it is a good idea because everyone would know that the quality results come from the A2 part of the course!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I think that the AS and A Level courses and exams are good, but the problem comes with the grade boundaries. I think that it should be 90 uniform marks for an A, 80 for a B etc.

Also, they should weight the A2 bit heavier as the person above said. Most people in my school only needed to get C's and D's on their exams this year to still have an A overall, which seems crazy.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I think they should abolish U grades so everyone passes. Nobody should have to sit though a course and have nothing to show for it.

100 = A* grade
90 = A grade
85 = A- grade
80 = B* grade
70 = B grade
65 = B- grade
60 = C* grade
50 = C grade
40 = C- grade
35 = D* grade
25 = D grade
20 = D- grade
10 = E* grade
5 = E grade
0 = E- grade
Fairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I think they should abolish U grades so everyone passes. Nobody should have to sit though a course and have nothing to show for it.

100 = A* grade
90 = A grade
85 = A- grade
80 = B* grade
70 = B grade
65 = B- grade
60 = C* grade
50 = C grade
40 = C- grade
35 = D* grade
25 = D grade
20 = D- grade
10 = E* grade
5 = E grade
0 = E- grade
What would the point be of sitting exams? They are used to see who has the ability etc. if everyone was going to pass then it would be a waste of time. Often lower grades at GCSE are discounted as a 'fail' ( D-G) by people therefore it could maybe be argued that there is no point having those grades either.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sir I. Newton)
You've been looking at the wrong website mate, Liverpool wants 320 points. A = 120, B = 100. 120 + (2 x 100) = 320, therefore A and 2B's. As for Cambridge or Warwick, I live in the north and have commitments here and believe that I wouldn't learn anything different or differently at these two uni's. I think about Oxbridge, its just the name. It doesn't say at the end of the title of your degree the university you acquired it, like MMath (L'pool) or MMath (Oxf).
Actually, if you acquire a degree from Oxford you can put (Oxon) afterwards ie. MMath (Oxon).
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yea so your all gonna get 5 A's arnt ya? with a 95% + score? YEA EDIT - Washes mouth out with soap RIGHT EDIT - and Again MIGHT BE EASIER TO PAST BUT AS EDIT - and Again THE WHOLE POINT OF GRADING IS DIFFERENTATION HOW THE EDIT - ... and again CAN THEY BE EASIER

EDIT - ... and again... MORONS
Needless to say that one's a bit of a dirty post, and needed to be deleted.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Your quote above from 3rd July would seem to contradict what you told us above your achievements on 29th July. Please clarify!!!!
I agree, I have just read the thread that statement was wrote in. I recentely acquired an email address from a contact of mine, who also does further maths. As well as gaining the email address, I gained the Sir I. Newton with it because I was told you cannot have two members on 1 email address so I couldn't make my own so I had to use this 1. When that statement was wrote in the other thread, thats when the Sir I. Newton member wasn't in my possesion, it was a friend of mine. Sorry about the confusion.
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The unregistered message above is infact my message, its just i wasn't logged in when i posted it
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey can u ppl help me i have prob wid the chem practials and my email address is [email protected]
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Actually, if you acquire a degree from Oxford you can put (Oxon) afterwards ie. MMath (Oxon).
You can put some letters after your degree if you graduate from Cambridge as well (Cambs?)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
OK I'm probably the most experienced to give an opinion on whether A levels are getting easier.

There not.

What qualifies me to say this? Well I'm 36, I origionally took A level maths in 1985 (I failed) and I started AS maths last year. I had to drop out because of other commitments before I sat any papers but I'm back this year.

What's covered seems to be about the same. The difference is the number of papers, in 1985 (god I nearly said "in my day") you took just 2 papers, these were 3 hours long and taken at the end of two years so if you screwed up you failed the whole thing and you could only take the papers in June so you would have to wait a year and resit the whole thing. I don't believe that makes it easy, it makes it farer. For instance someone in my brother's class who was predicted to get good grades had the misfortune of her mother dying just before her exams and of course she didn't do too well.

Oxford and Cambridge have always had their own maths papers, they also select by interview. Someon in my year passed the Oxford exam, got great grades but failed the interview so couldn't go.

Anyway the origional post that started this thread was "congratulations ignore the hype" and I agree with that. However easy or hard you found the exams they are the hardest ones you have the chance to do (so far) and don't forget there are still people who leave school without a GCSE - I'm sure they don't think the papers are easy.

I know it's a while since this thread started, so I hope you all did well.
mjg
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i got UUE.
++Hex++
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I agree totally - I did chemistry, physics, maths and french (as well as general studies) for AS and when I told people I did those subjects they'd be gobsmacked. However I do them cos I enjoy them (apart from french which i dropped after AS), and although i'm not predicted anything like straight A's for A2, i'm glad I chose those subjects and wouldn't want to do sociology or anything even if you say it is easy.

Hey, just discovered this thread - Chicken, I did the same subjects as you for AS/ A2, but without the GS!
Gina17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
does anybody here do health and social care A2
MurphysMoment.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For someone who dossed about for the 2 year AS\A2 Level courses and ended up with 3 Bs I can assure you that there is much to state that A Levels could be perceived as easy.

The break down of the AS and A2 was a very clever idea indeed; 6 modules lasting an hour doesn't seem as daunting as two 3 hour papers; however I think they should be done at the end of the 2 years.

It is true that some subjects are easier than others for example I was able to get 88/90 for one of my ICT Papers by cramming relentlessly a few weeks before the exam; however the exact same cramming for History didn't get me an A or Philosophy howwever the ICT coursework was very difficult and I only got a B overall.

The fact that people still get Us and people who have to repeat the year and still get Es however is strong proof enough that A Levels aren't easy.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (96)
18.82%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.71%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.94%

Watched Threads