Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Irish student and I hope to do Law. I would like to apply to do a post grad in the UK i was just wondering have more people heard of Trinity College Dublin as opposed to National University of Ireland as I want to go to a Uni that there would be recognition for and that there would be respect for in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    I'm an Irish student and I hope to do Law. I would like to apply to do a post grad in the UK i was just wondering have more people heard of Trinity College Dublin as opposed to National University of Ireland as I want to go to a Uni that there would be recognition for and that there would be respect for in the uk.
    I've heard of Trinity. Haven't heard of National University of Ireland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I've heard of Trinity. Haven't heard of National University of Ireland
    Ditto. Queen's in Northern Ireland and Trinity College in the Republic are the most prestigious and well-known Northern Irish and Irish institutions. I for one would struggle to name 3 other Irish unis off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Ditto. Queen's in Northern Ireland and Trinity College in the Republic are the most prestigious and well-known Northern Irish and Irish institutions. I for one would struggle to name 3 other Irish unis off the top of my head.
    there are only 6 in the republic anyway. thats exactly what i need to know the only problem is that now i need 575 points. aargh!

I know that NUI Galway is a great uni and was voted best uni in Ireland last year. (Sunday Times)

I have also a friend who attends UC Dublin and she loves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    I know that NUI Galway is a great uni and was voted best uni in Ireland last year. (Sunday Times)

I have also a friend who attends UC Dublin and she loves it.
    I really wanted to go to nui galway but now im not so sure and am half thinking of trinity. im getting very confused.

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to go to nui galway but now im not so sure and am half thinking of trinity. im getting very confused.
    I think that unis in the Republic of Ireland have much the same problem with ones in England - Trinity College, Dublin has a past reputation much in the same way as say Oxbridge here, but the others are proving to be equally as efficient in providing a first class degree course, especially NUI Galway.

It is a question of whether you go for past prestige or current prestige.

Galway is a vibrant city much enhanced by its' student population whereas Trinity (although very much respected) does not provide the same 'vibrancy' to the City of Dublin in the same way as NUI Galway does to the City of Galway.

ReputationRep:
    Galway is also much cheaper to live in and much closer to home. i'd also have free accomodation if i went there but i want to do the best i can and am unsure which would be best for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    It is a question of whether you go for past prestige or current prestige.
    Trinity College has more prestige currently too though, doesnt it? It hasnt exactly been usurped. Its not like Aberdeen VS York.

ReputationRep:
    Helloooo,

im probably being really stupid here and please let me know if i am, but i dont understand this comment

Trinity College has more prestige currently too though, doesnt it? It hasnt exactly been usurped. Its not like Aberdeen VS York.
    :confused: its the Aberdeen/York connection thats confusing me

bye

ReputationRep:
    thats exactly what i need to know the only problem is that now i need 575 points.
    How difficult is it to get that kind of points total anyway? Would that be a bigger achievement than attaining 3 A's at A Level? I think 3 A's translates as 570 points or so, although I suspect the system over values A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swallows)
    :confused: its the Aberdeen/York connection thats confusing me
    Aberdeen is an ancient university but is now considered to be no better than mediocre, while York was established in the 60's but is currently very highly regarded.

ReputationRep:
    Most students in China, the univ. in Irland we just know is Trinity. SO, my opinion is the former.

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen is an ancient university but is now considered to be no better than mediocre, while York was established in the 60's but is currently very highly regarded.
    Ah right, thanks for clearing that up, and i agre with your comment. I thought you were saying York was in Scotland or something. I should go eat some brain food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincent gallo)
    I couldn't say for sure that Trinity (Dublin) is regarded as highly as, say Galway, nowadays.

As I said before, many unis have a 'hallowed' reputation because of their antiquity as much as anything else. However, many of the newer unis are giving them a run for their money and you can't make a decision to attend a uni just because it has been there longer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree that TCD probably trades on past successes to some degree but Galway couldnt really be described as a 'new' university, so age isnt the only factor.

I wouldve thought most people would rank Irish universities something like:

Trinity
    ----------
    Queen's
    UCD
    Cork
    ----------
    DCU
    Galway
    Limerick
    ----------
    Ulster
    Maynooth

ReputationRep:
    I wouldve thought most people would rank Irish universities something like:

Trinity
    ----------
    Queen's
    UCD
    Cork
    ----------
    DCU
    Galway
    Limerick
    ----------
    Ulster
    Maynooth
    I think that's absolutely right. Certainly, at Oxford and Cambridge TCD is seen as a near equivalent, but the other universities aren't particularly well regarded - even Queen's

ReputationRep:
    How difficult is it to get that kind of points total anyway? Would that be a bigger achievement than attaining 3 A's at A Level? I think 3 A's translates as 570 points or so, although I suspect the system over values A Levels.
    the system does over value a levels but that is being changed next year. as of next year a leaving cert subject is two thirds of an a level. but we do seven subjects six count for points and you get 100 points for an A1 which is over ninty percent.

but why do you think tcd has more prestige?

also i wouldnt exactly rate ul or dcu as high as you do.

ReputationRep:
    also i wouldnt exactly rate ul or dcu as high as you do.
    It wasnt supposed to be definitive, infact I dont actually think theres much between Irish universities after the top few and even Ulster is okay for a number of subjects.

Lots of things contribute to TCD having more prestige, as yawn1 said its mostly because of its antiquity, beautiful campus and association with various historical figures. The fact it has the highest entry requirements also gives a TCD degree more kudos and it could make the college a more stimulating environment to study in too. Its always going to impress people to have studied in your country's 'premier university' (even if its a small nation) and Dublin, as the capital city, is famous throughout the world.

I doubt the teaching is that much better though and Law degrees are always respected.

QUB is great for Law incidentally.

ReputationRep:

QUB is great for Law incidentally.
    ive nothing against it but there is probably no way i would go there. id say all of the nui unis except maynooth would probably be equal then dcu then ul and trinity maybe the best.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.