Trinity or National University Watch

This discussion is closed.
ecksor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by polthegael)
The maths on the Ard-leibheal of the Ardteist is probably harder than that on the A-level. It does, however, offer more choice which is good. It's also more akin to Pure Maths A-level than ordinary pick n' mic maths (I view this as good).
Probably? What do you base that upon? 15 years ago I might have found this plausible, but this has not been the impression I've gotten nowadays and the Leaving Cert honours maths exam was getting less and less a decent test of what was covered on the syllabus through the 90s.
Poc ar buile
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ecksor)
Probably? What do you base that upon? 15 years ago I might have found this plausible, but this has not been the impression I've gotten nowadays and the Leaving Cert honours maths exam was getting less and less a decent test of what was covered on the syllabus through the 90s.

Well then, it must have been damn hard back then! I'm not trying to show off but I got 100% on a lot of modules at A-level and I think I would have done a lot worse on the Free State maths exam. It's also a lot harder (as A-levels used to be) in that it is not modular.

If I meet any Irish people doing medicine or at my college in Cambridge next year and they got an A1 on their Ardteist, I'll respect them loads.
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
Reading is a nice town. My girlfriend comes from there (Caversham) so I'm there a lot (although we have a house in Southampton, she gets us to go up all the time).

Maybe see you in Pavlov's Dog or O'Niell's some night..!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Good God... How many unpatriotic people are there in such a wee country. Cut the "UK" crap...

Britain = big island to your east.
G.B. = big island to your east with some of the wee islands around it
Ireland = island you are on...

I'm Irish. I come from Occupied Territories (so maybe you don't view me as Irish), and I find your post offensive...

Anyway... TCD is the better institution. If you wanted to go to one of the 4, note, 4 - not 3! NUI colleges, then choose Galway - it's much nicer than Dublin, Belfast or Cork.

Would you not be studying Irish law though in TCD and UCD? Maybe you should go straight to England.
Come and join me at Cambridge...Tá cara a dtagann as Éirinn uaim! Is dócha nach bhfuil a lán Gaelgeoirí ann agus ba mhór ba mhaith liom mo chuid Gaeilge a cleachtadh!

taim an broduil faoi mo duchais gaelach,
i want a degree with respect in the uk because i would like the experience of further study in another country.

i never seem to know whether to use uk or britan so fine england then.

i would like to do further study in international law at masters level(a bit ambitious for someone who has yet to pass the leaving i know)so that leaves either america or britan,
why were you insulted?

bye the way i would love to go to cambridge but i want to be able to work over here.
ma bionn tu ag iarraidh do gaeilge a cleactadh thug teachtaireact dom.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
im doing honours maths and yes the questions 15yrs ago were much harder but its still no joke. the people who get a1's now would have got them back then the numbers of people who get an a1 is about 3 percent and that isn't even counting those who do pass so it hasn't changed much.
ecksor
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got an A1 and would have been confident of getting and A in the old style 80s papers, but was definitely of the opinion when I did it that the paper was becoming far less testing.

I think he objects to your wording because the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when you don't appear to mean to include NI (or the occupied territories as he calls them). I would hazard a guess that he doesn't recognise the legitimacy of the United Kingdom and that such recognition equates with a lack of patriotism ...

I'm curious if polthegael uses such terms as the 'Free State' and the 'Occupied Territories' in ordinary discussion in England.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
I got an A1 and would have been confident of getting and A in the old style 80s papers, but was definitely of the opinion when I did it that the paper was becoming far less testing.

I think he objects to your wording because the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when you don't appear to mean to include NI (or the occupied territories as he calls them). I would hazard a guess that he doesn't recognise the legitimacy of the United Kingdom and that such recognition equates with a lack of patriotism ...
i see where he is coming from and i apologise,
i understand. i just have a habit of never including ni.
im assuming he's not a unionist then.

where are you studying?
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
I'm curious if polthegael uses such terms as the 'Free State' and the 'Occupied Territories' in ordinary discussion in England.
Yes, I do. The only people who have ever had issue with me, however, are my parents!
ecksor
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, I do. The only people who have ever had issue with me, however, are my parents!
Not surprised
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
the system does over value a levels but that is being changed next year. as of next year a leaving cert subject is two thirds of an a level. but we do seven subjects six count for points and you get 100 points for an A1 which is over ninty percent.

but why do you think tcd has more prestige?

also i wouldnt exactly rate ul or dcu as high as you do.
I'd agree... DCU is a patsy polytechnic for retards (that's an exageration - sorry to any DCU students out there!). There is no way it is better than UCG.

Ca bhfuil tu i do chonai, a Roxy? Gar de chathair na Gaillmhe? Ni feidir liom fadai a chur ar mo ghutai!

PS... Cen aois thu? Duirt tu nach ndearna tu d'Ardteist fos...!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
I'd agree... DCU is a patsy polytechnic for retards (that's an exageration - sorry to any DCU students out there!). There is no way it is better than UCG.

Ca bhfuil tu i do chonai, a Roxy? Gar de chathair na Gaillmhe? Ni feidir liom fadai a chur ar mo ghutai!

PS... Cen aois thu? Duirt tu nach ndearna tu d'Ardteist fos...!
taim beagnach se bliana deag daois agus taim ag dul isteach go seu blian. rinne me idirblian.
nil conai orm i gaillimh ach chaith me alan am ar.
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
taim beagnach se bliana deag daois agus taim ag dul isteach go seu blian. rinne me idirblian.
nil conai orm i gaillimh ach chaith me alan am ar.
Cad a cheap tu faoin idirbliain? Ta mo dhearathar (lit?) tar eis dul go dti an Saorstat. Nil se ach ceathair bhliain deag d'aois. Duirt me leis nach smaoineamh mor e an idirbhliain a dheanamh.. Cad a shileann tusa?

Is docha go bhfuil tu gleoite ar fad (nil ach babai bheag thu! )... Na bi buartha faoi ard leibheal Gaeilge. Nil se ro-dhona, i mo thuirim (ce nach ndearna me e, leigh me an siolabas agus mar sin de). Chula me gur feidir leat cupla faoin gcead a fhail gan pioc a dheanamh taobh amuigh de cupla cead focal a leamh! Ta se i bhfad nios easca na Ard leibheal Bearla le Shakespeare, Chaucer 7rl! Ta na danta scriofa ar na paipeir (nil se sin an sceal le Bearla!) agus ni ga dhuit iad a fhoghlaim "by rote" (ta bron orm ach nil aon fhocal Gaeilge agam ar an nath sin )

Bhinn i mo chonai sa Gaeltacht chontae Chiarrai (i mBaile Ui Chorrain, gar den Daingean) ar feadh bliain go leith agus bhi se orm dul tri Luimnigh chun dul go dti Baile Atha Cliath/Beal Feirste ar an mbus! Chaith me seal i gCathair na Mart chomh maith agus chuaigh me go Gaillimh go minic nuair a bhi me ann. Taim i mo chonai i Sasana le beaganach ceathair bliain anuas...

Go n-eiri an t-adh leat le do scrudaithe

Le cion,

Pol
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
Taim ag deanamh mo dhicheal an thread seo a shabhail!
Poc ar buile
Report 14 years ago
An bhfuil duine ar bith ansin..?!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Cad a cheap tu faoin idirbliain? Ta mo dhearathar (lit?) tar eis dul go dti an Saorstat. Nil se ach ceathair bhliain deag d'aois. Duirt me leis nach smaoineamh mor e an idirbhliain a dheanamh.. Cad a shileann tusa?

Is docha go bhfuil tu gleoite ar fad (nil ach babai bheag thu! )... Na bi buartha faoi ard leibheal Gaeilge. Nil se ro-dhona, i mo thuirim (ce nach ndearna me e, leigh me an siolabas agus mar sin de). Chula me gur feidir leat cupla faoin gcead a fhail gan pioc a dheanamh taobh amuigh de cupla cead focal a leamh! Ta se i bhfad nios easca na Ard leibheal Bearla le Shakespeare, Chaucer 7rl! Ta na danta scriofa ar na paipeir (nil se sin an sceal le Bearla!) agus ni ga dhuit iad a fhoghlaim "by rote" (ta bron orm ach nil aon fhocal Gaeilge agam ar an nath sin )

Bhinn i mo chonai sa Gaeltacht chontae Chiarrai (i mBaile Ui Chorrain, gar den Daingean) ar feadh bliain go leith agus bhi se orm dul tri Luimnigh chun dul go dti Baile Atha Cliath/Beal Feirste ar an mbus! Chaith me seal i gCathair na Mart chomh maith agus chuaigh me go Gaillimh go minic nuair a bhi me ann. Taim i mo chonai i Sasana le beaganach ceathair bliain anuas...

Go n-eiri an t-adh leat le do scrudaithe

Le cion,

Pol
bhi idirblian ar fheabhas, bhi alan rud le dheanamh againn mar chaithfidh tu e a dheanamh i mo scoil rinneamar dramaiocht agus bhuamar comortas mor. bhi se iontach ar fad. ceapaim gur is fiu e.
ta a fhios agam nach bhfuil gaeilge ro dona ach ta mo muinteoir neamhchumasach ar fad. beidh an scrudu beal agus cluaistuiscint ceart go leor ach papeir 1 taim marbh.
cheampaim go bhfuil shakespeare ceart go leor ach nil chaucer le deanamh againn ach ta canterbury tales i mo sheomra ag feithimh....
scriobh ar ais
"by rote" gleanmheabhair, bhuel ta se an cosuil.
zaphod11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vincent gallo)

I wouldve thought most people would rank Irish universities something like:

Trinity
----------
Queen's
UCD
Cork
----------
DCU
Galway
Limerick
----------
Ulster
Maynooth
Yeah, bump up galway in to the 2nd slot and I would say that is about right.
It is really hard to fit it in to a U.K spectrum as they have never been included in the tables. From experience I would say that grades are hard won at TCD. There entry requirement appear low but you have to take in to account that the lowest CAO points are of the lowest successful entrant for the number of places. Most people are at a much higher point level. I went to Tcd and in my field I had international authorities in the academic staff. Also, as a Brit, TCD seems to have an oxford/cam-like kudos that impresses UK professionals. You would struggle to sell a NUI degree in the same way.
DenverDiva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm an Irish student and I hope to do Law. I would like to apply to do a post grad in the UK i was just wondering have more people heard of Trinity College Dublin as opposed to National University of Ireland as I want to go to a Uni that there would be recognition for and that there would be respect for in the uk.
With due respect to the (mainly student) posters here, admissions staff in the UK will be equally familiar with TCD or NUI. You should contact universities in the UK where you think you might want to study for a PG degree and speak to the Law department admissions staff who will be able to guide you on the areas of law which you will need to have covered in order to be accepted to PG study at their university and you can then compare the courses offered by TCD and NUI. PG admissions staff are looking for evidence that you can meet the academic requirements of a postgraduate course and in that case I'd be surprised if departments differentiated much in academic value between a similar degree in NUI or TCD.
vincent gallo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by zaphod11)
Yeah, bump up galway in to the 2nd slot and I would say that is about right.
It is really hard to fit it in to a U.K spectrum as they have never been included in the tables. From experience I would say that grades are hard won at TCD. There entry requirement appear low but you have to take in to account that the lowest CAO points are of the lowest successful entrant for the number of places. Most people are at a much higher point level. I went to Tcd and in my field I had international authorities in the academic staff. Also, as a Brit, TCD seems to have an oxford/cam-like kudos that impresses UK professionals. You would struggle to sell a NUI degree in the same way.
You consider Galway to be better than QUB?!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincent gallo)
You consider Galway to be better than QUB?!
it is.
vincent gallo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it is.
Really? It just doesnt have a high profile up here atall. I realise that doesnt make it a bad university. .
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1583)
79.31%
Leave (413)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise