Watch
This discussion is closed.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ecksor)
There's another way of reading it though, which is that different country's methods of entrance into universities aren't easy to compare. Therefore I find it amusing that in Ireland a British university is seen as the inferior option and you're obviously seeing the Irish universities as the same. It's down to bias and an obsession with the 'currency' that is what it takes to get into a specific course. (in our case the points system and in your case whatever the entrance offers you received are).

Well said.

Where are you from?
ecksor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Where are you from?
Kilkenny.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago

There's another way of reading it though, which is that different country's methods of entrance into universities aren't easy to compare. Therefore I find it amusing that in Ireland a British university is seen as the inferior option and you're obviously seeing the Irish universities as the same. It's down to bias and an obsession with the 'currency' that is what it takes to get into a specific course. (in our case the points system and in your case whatever the entrance offers you received are).
I think its likely that the main reason Irish students regard Britain as the inferior option is because they would prefer to remain closer to home not because of the quality of the universities.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Kilkenny.
Nice beer, great Hurling team.

I'm from Gaillimh. Dissapointing year.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I'm from Gaillimh.
cool, country or city? i've relatives in galway so i spend a lot of time there,
Poc ar buile
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Who says it's equivalent to an oxbridge degree, with all due respect?
Me, for one - and I'm a Tab
jurispridence
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by d750)
I think that's absolutely right. Certainly, at Oxford and Cambridge TCD is seen as a near equivalent, but the other universities aren't particularly well regarded - even Queen's
Trinity is an excellent university, and having turned it down for my undergraduate law degree I intend to either go to it or to Cambridge for my LLM.

But I'd have to disagree with your comment regarding Queen's - it may not be an option for many English students, but it was ranked 8th in UK for law in the Times league table earlier this year just behing LSE.
vincent gallo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jurispridence)
Trinity is an excellent university, and having turned it down for my undergraduate law degree I intend to either go to it or to Cambridge for my LLM.

But I'd have to disagree with your comment regarding Queen's - it may not be an option for many English students, but it was ranked 8th in UK for law in the Times league table earlier this year just behing LSE.
QUB is a good university, especially for Law, Politics, English and Medicine. Id imagine that its the Irish uni (along with UCD maybe) which is closest to Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester etc in terms of entry standards.

Alot of people on this forum tend to disregard any uni's which dont attract large numbers of English public school kids. Im not sure why. .

TCD's entry requirements appear to be generally more in line with those of UCL, York, Durham, St Andrews etc. Although due to the CAO system it often seems to be the case that nobody acquires a place at TCD for high demand subjects like Law and Psychology with less than AAA. I doubt thats a common occurrence at Cardiff.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (27)
8.26%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (23)
7.03%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (71)
21.71%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (41)
12.54%
No, nothing has changed (102)
31.19%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (63)
19.27%

Watched Threads