Turn on thread page Beta

Trinity or National University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecksor)
    There's another way of reading it though, which is that different country's methods of entrance into universities aren't easy to compare. Therefore I find it amusing that in Ireland a British university is seen as the inferior option and you're obviously seeing the Irish universities as the same. It's down to bias and an obsession with the 'currency' that is what it takes to get into a specific course. (in our case the points system and in your case whatever the entrance offers you received are).

Well said.

Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Where are you from?
    Kilkenny.

ReputationRep:

There's another way of reading it though, which is that different country's methods of entrance into universities aren't easy to compare. Therefore I find it amusing that in Ireland a British university is seen as the inferior option and you're obviously seeing the Irish universities as the same. It's down to bias and an obsession with the 'currency' that is what it takes to get into a specific course. (in our case the points system and in your case whatever the entrance offers you received are).
    I think its likely that the main reason Irish students regard Britain as the inferior option is because they would prefer to remain closer to home not because of the quality of the universities.

ReputationRep:
    Kilkenny.
    Nice beer, great Hurling team.

I'm from Gaillimh. Dissapointing year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I'm from Gaillimh.
    cool, country or city? i've relatives in galway so i spend a lot of time there,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Who says it's equivalent to an oxbridge degree, with all due respect?
    Me, for one - and I'm a Tab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    I think that's absolutely right. Certainly, at Oxford and Cambridge TCD is seen as a near equivalent, but the other universities aren't particularly well regarded - even Queen's
    Trinity is an excellent university, and having turned it down for my undergraduate law degree I intend to either go to it or to Cambridge for my LLM.

But I'd have to disagree with your comment regarding Queen's - it may not be an option for many English students, but it was ranked 8th in UK for law in the Times league table earlier this year just behing LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jurispridence)
    Trinity is an excellent university, and having turned it down for my undergraduate law degree I intend to either go to it or to Cambridge for my LLM.

But I'd have to disagree with your comment regarding Queen's - it may not be an option for many English students, but it was ranked 8th in UK for law in the Times league table earlier this year just behing LSE.
    QUB is a good university, especially for Law, Politics, English and Medicine. Id imagine that its the Irish uni (along with UCD maybe) which is closest to Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester etc in terms of entry standards.

Alot of people on this forum tend to disregard any uni's which dont attract large numbers of English public school kids. Im not sure why. .

TCD's entry requirements appear to be generally more in line with those of UCL, York, Durham, St Andrews etc. Although due to the CAO system it often seems to be the case that nobody acquires a place at TCD for high demand subjects like Law and Psychology with less than AAA. I doubt thats a common occurrence at Cardiff.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.