Emilyjmitchell
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What could u actually do with an economics degree? Like not just "work in finance" but what actual physical job?!
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emilyjmitchell)
What could u actually do with an economics degree? Like not just "work in finance" but what actual physical job?!
Most things, apart from engineering, quantity surveying, medicine etc.

Well 'finance' consists of:
Investment banking:
Advising companies on buying/selling other companies, helping companies raise capital to grow or expand into new areas, crafting derivative/debt products to counter any risk a company is facing);

Trading :
Buying/selling financial products - bonds, shares, currencies, commodities - either on behalf of clients, or using proprietary capital - in the financial markets

Investment Management:
Allocating money (raised from institutional investors like pension funds or wealthy individuals), to a variety of financial products using varying strategies in order to create a return on those investments. Within this field, you have different asset classes: traditional mutual fund investing and 'alternatives' (otherwise known as Private Equity and Hedge Funds).

Corporate Finance:
A division within a larger corporation dealing with the financial planning, strategy and forecasting of the business. They sometimes have internal 'private equity' arms, that buyout companies.

Otherwise:
Economic Development at an NGO, a professional Economist at a bank or at the Bank of England, a Management trainee, Marketing, PR, Sales, Recruitment, Supply Chain, even a Software Engineer if you develop your skills outside of uni - the list goes on.

Most of these jobs, bar the first two, are available to all grads. Hell, even most finance jobs are available to all grads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
foxy15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
has anybody applied for economics finance and management at qmul?
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by foxy15)
has anybody applied for economics finance and management at qmul?
Wrong thread mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (135)
59.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (31)
13.66%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.2%

Watched Threads