Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Two degrees - on-campus full-time + online part-time? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    this is my very first post and I hope I am writing in the correct forum.

I am currently studying BSc Management on-campus as a full-time 1st year student. I love the course and its modules and I am not disappointed with my choice.

However, I am also considering to start next-year an online part-time course in BSc Astronomy. Astronomy has been one of my main interest, but I chose Management over Astronomy because of the better career opportunities and because I did not want to risk to hate one of my passions by turning it into work.

Nevertheless, I do not want to abandon it and I would like to follow an Astronomy course (http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc_hons_astronomy.php).
    As you can see from the link, the application process is not via UCAS, and you pay the University per module and not per year (part-time), and it is fully online.

Do you think it is possible? Should I do it after I finish my Management + MBA (provided that I manage to reach that level) and start working?

Thank you in advance for the answers

(Original post by Eibe)
    Hello everyone,
    this is my very first post and I hope I am writing in the correct forum.

I am currently studying BSc Management on-campus as a full-time 1st year student. I love the course and its modules and I am not disappointed with my choice.

However, I am also considering to start next-year an online part-time course in BSc Astronomy. Astronomy has been one of my main interest, but I chose Management over Astronomy because of the better career opportunities and because I did not want to risk to hate one of my passions by turning it into work.

Nevertheless, I do not want to abandon it and I would like to follow an Astronomy course (http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc_hons_astronomy.php).
    As you can see from the link, the application process is not via UCAS, and you pay the University per module and not per year (part-time), and it is fully online.

Do you think it is possible? Should I do it after I finish my Management + MBA (provided that I manage to reach that level) and start working?

Thank you in advance for the answers
    UCLan will probably require you to gain permission from your university before letting you do the online course. This is unlikely to be granted unless they see you as some sort of prodigious genius who can handle both. Degrees are very time-consuming and to do two would require the sort of time management (is that included in your Management course? ) that most people don't have. So that's my verdict: if you're like most people, chances are that you won't be allowed to do it and, if you were, your performance in both would suffer.

The Astronomy course director is unlikely to let you think of it as anything other than 'work' -- the word 'passion' is restricted solely to your personal statement and university jargon about their course in their advertising videos. The day-to-day aspect of it is very much like full-time work.

You can have a go but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have superhuman time management abilities. :dontknow: Personally, it sounds like it would be a lot more fun if you were doing it alongside work because then it would be like a passion that you do in your spare time, whereas doing it alongside your degree and being subject to deadlines is likely to turn it into a burden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    UCLan will probably require you to gain permission from your university before letting you do the online course. This is unlikely to be granted unless they see you as some sort of prodigious genius who can handle both. Degrees are very time-consuming and to do two would require the sort of time management (is that included in your Management course? ) that most people don't have. So that's my verdict: if you're like most people, chances are that you won't be allowed to do it and, if you were, your performance in both would suffer.

The Astronomy course director is unlikely to let you think of it as anything other than 'work' -- the word 'passion' is restricted solely to your personal statement and university jargon about their course in their advertising videos. The day-to-day aspect of it is very much like full-time work.

You can have a go but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have superhuman time management abilities. :dontknow: Personally, it sounds like it would be a lot more fun if you were doing it alongside work because then it would be like a passion that you do in your spare time, whereas doing it alongside your degree and being subject to deadlines is likely to turn it into a burden.
    You are probably right, thank you very much for your feedback. I will see what to do in the next months, but I will most likely follow your advice to do the degree alongside my work.
    Thank you again

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.