Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    accounting and finance or economics and finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSIOlajideBT)
    Economics and Maths probably

ReputationRep:
    what are your A-levels/btec subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevelhelp97)
    what are your A-levels/btec subjects?
    Economics, Geography, Psychology. I got an A at GCSE maths but didnt choose it for A-level

ReputationRep:
    Economics, Geography, Psychology. I got an A at GCSE maths but didnt choose it for A-level
    You should really be doing maths if you want to work in financial services, perhaps look at some apprenticeships/uni courses which don't have a maths requirement (there are some).

ReputationRep:
    Economics is the most reputable degree out of those named, the rest aren't very traditional.

ReputationRep:
    i would probably choose an economics degree then but you should look around at what universities offer

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend having a look at the websites of major graduate employers in that sector and seeing what they say.

I would echo what others are saying about not taking A level maths, both on the grounds that most relevant degrees will require maths, and because careers in financial services require the use of maths on a day to day basis. If you don't like maths enough to have chosen it at A Level, do you like it enough to want to use it daily at work, or are you more interested in the high salaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you mean IB, Consulting, IM, accounting; any degree. For the first two, university name is paramount more than anything.

This isn't cookie cutter, however. For certain 'quant' desks on trading floors an engineering or maths degree would be of much more use than say, a history degree. That said, those desks aren't the majority and the other more 'vanilla' or 'less complex' derivative desks are more open.

Likewise with Actuarial work or Risk, a Maths degree (or Actuarial Science degree) would be crucial to getting a job.

It all really boils down to what you would enjoy studying - that way you'll feel more motivated to do your best in it.

Ultimately, both of the degrees you have pointed out are useful and can lead to a variety of careers. Though I think A&F would be a lot more 'practically' useful if you wanted to do banking (actual banking like M&A/Capital Raising stuff), accounting or finance within an organisation. Whichever you choose, you'll need to build up a strong profile outside of your studies to be anywhere near competitive for the industry you want to go into given the oversupply of graduates these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd suggest taking maths to at least AS level if you want to prove your numerical ability to employers; many top universities also require maths for the degrees you're aiming at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If you mean IB, Consulting, IM, accounting; any degree. For the first two, university name is paramount more than anything.

This isn't cookie cutter, however. For certain 'quant' desks on trading floors an engineering or maths degree would be of much more use than say, a history degree. That said, those desks aren't the majority and the other more 'vanilla' or 'less complex' derivative desks are more open.

Likewise with Actuarial work or Risk, a Maths degree (or Actuarial Science degree) would be crucial to getting a job.

It all really boils down to what you would enjoy studying - that way you'll feel more motivated to do your best in it.

Ultimately, both of the degrees you have pointed out are useful and can lead to a variety of careers. Though I think A&F would be a lot more 'practically' useful if you wanted to do banking (actual banking like M&A/Capital Raising stuff), accounting or finance within an organisation. Whichever you choose, you'll need to build up a strong profile outside of your studies to be anywhere bear competitive for the industry you want to go into given the oversupply of graduates these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So career-wise what are the differences between having economics &finance and accounting & finance?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So career-wise what are the differences between having economics &finance and accounting & finance?
    Nothing

I'm guessing you just didn't bother reading my post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Maths is not essential at A level for your subjects, it helps but your A is more than sufficient. Solid economics wouldn't get you turned down, Economics AND Accountancy would be better, Law is a wildcard that would also get you in with a focus on company law. As long as you're at a reputable Uni on a decent course and graduate with at least 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing

I'm guessing you just didn't bother reading my post :rolleyes:
    I know what you mean but what are the main advantages of choosing one over the other? im actually so stressed, i dont know what to do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I know what you mean but what are the main advantages of choosing one over the other? im actually so stressed, i dont know what to do
    As follows: you do economics in one and you do accounting in the other. If you ABSOLUTELY love accounting, you get exemptions from some professional exams with A&F.

Otherwise, just choose whichever you like the sound of more. You can't go wrong with either one.

ReputationRep:
    As follows: you do economics in one and you do accounting in the other. If you ABSOLUTELY love accounting, you get exemptions from some professional exams with A&F.

Otherwise, just choose whichever you like the sound of more. You can't go wrong with either one.
    So what can i do with the 'finance' part? Isn't this what would increase my chance to get into the financial sector?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XenonSabre)
    Maths is not essential at A level for your subjects, it helps but your A is more than sufficient. Solid economics wouldn't get you turned down, Economics AND Accountancy would be better, Law is a wildcard that would also get you in with a focus on company law. As long as you're at a reputable Uni on a decent course and graduate with at least 2:1.
    So what can i do with the 'finance' part? Isn't this what would increase my chance to get into the financial sector?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm doing accounting and finance with the primary aim to become an accountant. If you want to be more involved in the financial sector, do pure finance, economics or economics and finance.
    This isn't to say you can't get into those jobs with A+F, but the other degrees are preferred as you NEED to be good at maths and that's why they all ask for A Level.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not really. If you managed to get a job at a large firm all of the training is done on site, these places hire people with degrees in all sorts of subjects.

I mean, it'd give you a slight edge in grasping the concepts but on the whole it's kind of irrelevant - just study what you like the sound of more lol, it's not rocket science.

ReputationRep:

Ultimately, both of the degrees you have pointed out are useful and can lead to a variety of careers. Though I think A&F would be a lot more 'practically' useful if you wanted to do banking (actual banking like M&A/Capital Raising stuff), accounting or finance within an organisation. Whichever you choose, you'll need to build up a strong profile outside of your studies to be anywhere bear competitive for the industry you want to go into given the oversupply of graduates these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are the IB/consulting target unis as of late?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.