Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Manager watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've recently started a new job, been there 2 months. My probation lasts 6 months.
    I met with my manager last week for a normal scheduled case review meeting. she asked me if the job interested me as sometimes when you get into a job you realise its not for you. If that was the case she would rather know sooner rather than later.
    I took offence to this but assured her that of course I was happy with the job and wanted to stay. She seemed happy with that and we left it at that.
    A week later she asks to speak with me in private again.
    This time she said that I missed the correct date on a few files as I was saving them electronically. The file name has to include the date it was created and on a couple I had put the wrong date (1 day out). She pointed this out to me and said if I didn't improve she would 'have to make a difficult decision'.
    I asked her what she meant by that and she told me that obviously I was on probation still and I was being assessed. I said to her I was concerned that she is saying something along these lines and said something similar about me maybe leaving the week before. I asked her if there was something else going on that I should be concerned about as its seems excessive to threaten to sack someone for labeling a file with the wrong date. She said nothing else was wring, thats it. She assured me there was no other bad feedback about my work.

I am the youngest in the company and not in the most junior position. Is her trying to assert herself or worse bully me? Or is my job actually in trouble? Surely you cannot be sacked for labeling files slightly incorrectly? bearing in mind the description of the file was correct!

I'm really not sure how to go forward with her. I need to show her i am not weak and will not be bullied but she is my manager.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.