Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My uni boyfriend broke up with his ex right before he started uni watch

Announcements

I'm a first year at Birmingham uni, I met this guy during freshers (he's 1st year too) and we hit it off - this week we decided to become boyfriend and girlfriend. We both have busy schedules so aren't with each other 24/7 or anything. He's a lovely lovely guy and both of us are really into each other. However, last week I bumped into one of his flat mates on a night out and they mentioned how he had a girlfriend he broke up with right before he came to uni. I think they were together for about a year. I assume they broke up solely because of uni. He still texts her I think (have seen her name come up on his phone) but I'm guessing they text just as friends... I hope. He isn't aware I know anything about his ex, and I don't know whether to bring it up. This is because right now everything is so perfect between him and me and turning a bit psycho isn't the vibe I want to give off to him! Should I wait a while? Help!! Why make a problem from nothing? Don't know what to do.. Do you think he could be hanging on to see her in uni holidays? (I live in London while him and her will both be back in Birmingham together during uni holidays)

ReputationRep:
    Omg it's so obvious they are onnit while you're in London

ReputationRep:
    It seems sleezy, like he is an opportunist, goes with whatever is easiest/most convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Friendship and relationships are about trust. I'd give it some more time and then tell him exactly what happened that his flatmates mentioned his ex-girlfriend. The ex part really isn't your concern because you can't judge anything that happened before he met you. But, you can tell him your concern as it gets closer to break. If you have a good relationship he'll discuss it calmly with you and you'll just have to trust him while your away. That's all you can do.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You could probably have the conversation without seeming crazy. Just mention someone told you that he broke up with someone right before uni (don't mention seeing texts) and you could ask if they've kept in touch. It's not unreasonable to be worried, if he's potentially only broken up with her because of the long distance thing then you could explain you're worried there's still going to be feelings there when they get back. Its doesn't have to be a big 'I SAW YOU TEXT YOUR EX ARE YOU GOING TO CHEAT?!' conversation.

Personally I'd probably just try and trust him. There's no reason not to. He's probably had an amicable break up in which case it would be normal to remain friends. He hasn't given you any reason to distrust him (e.g. lying). They may well not even see each other, being in the same city doesn't mean they will prioritise each other.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should talk to him and express your worry . He must know you're aware of it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.