Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling really unsettled at university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start my seventh week at university and I was fine at first but now that things are starting properly, I'm not enjoying it and I'm feeling really unsettled and stressed socially, and just generally the teaching..

A lot of this is socially though. There's a lot of various cultures in my classes and this is something I'm very open to. However I befriended some Asian lads, although as time has gone on, they've met more people of their own kind and I've felt pushed out of their social group. Added to this, some girl who I thought was my friend all of a sudden turned on me the other day, stating that her friend doesn't like me due to my attitude and dress style. Now these girls are from Bulgaria and I've never even spoken to the girl who supposedly hates me so I can't understand why. And the way I dress is considered homosexual in Bulgaria, due to wearing skinny jeans, as daft as that sounds. Practically everyone wears them! I was fuming to a few of my friends who are girls about the situation who tell me skinny jeans are hot. I'm a straight male but even so I find it very disrespectful that somebody hates me because of the way I dress is seen as homosexual in their country. I feel like a foreigner in my own country and university! As well as just that, the only people who do speak English are actually stuck up their own backsides and act like they're better than everybody else.

But social aspects and racial segregation aside, just the general course to me seems unsettling. I'm studying media in which I hope to work with video and other similar things, yet it seems like only Mondays we actually learn this at the moment. Other days we're either at home, or we're studying something that it totally unrelated and can't seem to wrap our heads around. Right now it feels like I've taken out a £9000 loan and just flushed it down the toilet in all honesty at this moment in time. I know it's only the first semester and the course itself doesn't bother me too much, but I think I'm more down and unsettled due to the social aspect. I tried to help everybody out with an issue over one of the modules and then in the end everybody stabbed me in the back..

What should I do? Anybody else in the same boat as me and feel like sharing their stories?

ReputationRep:
    Are you black? If you're black and you're doing media, you've definitely done the wrong course fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggie43)
    Are you black? If you're black and you're doing media, you've definitely done the wrong course fam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah I'm white hahaha

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.