Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I submitted my dissertation and used as an example:

To assist in determining how telecommuters working for a private healthy insurer balance work and personal life, this researcher investigated the following:

I then have a list of what I investigated. I use this throughout the paper because that is what I obtained from the APA guide. My chair came back and told me to alter this because it was awkward first person usage. I don't know what to alter it to and every example I see this researcher or this author or this investigator is used. So, I changed it to , I investigated. Resubmitted and she comes back with do not use I, me, or my. So now I am utterly confused.

The next thing is she told me to limit researcher bias, do a bracketing study. I did this. Answered my own questions and put this in my paper and now she says to remove it. Should have no bias. Any advice on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina Miller)
    I submitted my dissertation and used as an example:

To assist in determining how telecommuters working for a private healthy insurer balance work and personal life, this researcher investigated the following:

I then have a list of what I investigated. I use this throughout the paper because that is what I obtained from the APA guide. My chair came back and told me to alter this because it was awkward first person usage. I don't know what to alter it to and every example I see this researcher or this author or this investigator is used. So, I changed it to , I investigated. Resubmitted and she comes back with do not use I, me, or my. So now I am utterly confused.

The next thing is she told me to limit researcher bias, do a bracketing study. I did this. Answered my own questions and put this in my paper and now she says to remove it. Should have no bias. Any advice on this?
    In academic writing, you should generally try to avoid using personal pronouns. So maybe something along the lines of ..."To assist in determining how telecommuters working for a private healthy insurer balance work and personal life, the following topics were investigated."

ReputationRep:
    First person: "I did X..."
    Third person: "X was done"

it's a way of writing (or talking) as if you're distant from what happened - which is why politicians often like to talk this way...

e.g. "mistakes were made"... "lies were told" rather than "I made mistakes" or "We told lies"

using "This researcher" instead of "I" isn't really a good way around it and probably comes from misunderstanding third person as a list of forbidden words.

"This researcher", "This author" etc. to refer to yourself is rather ugly writing and can often cause confusion in the mind of the reader about whether you're referring to something you did or something the last researcher you mentioned did.

As Smith and Jones (1999) and Drew (2007) noted, there is no correlation between television viewing time and calorie intake. The authors replicated this finding with three experiments.

Does “the authors” refer to both Smith and Jones (1999) and Drew (2007)? Or does it refer to the authors of the current paper?
    http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/20...apa-style.html

N.B. your department's preferred house style always trumps anything in any other online or printed style guides. See if they've got any resources about the writing style they like to see used, maybe there's something in the uni library.

ReputationRep:
    So if I have this as a sentence:

I investigated themes that existed within the telecommuting community in order to explain how telecommuters working for a private health insurer are better able to balance work and personal life.

To:

Consistent themes emerged during the study that were utilized to explain how telecommuters working for a private health insurer are better able to balance work and personal life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina Miller)
    So if I have this as a sentence:
    seems OK in terms of third person... but if you use that exact sentence in your dissertation now that you've posted it here, it'll probably trigger a plagiarism warning if your dept uses turnitin.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.