Turn on thread page Beta

Why do older guys (30ish) like younger (23ish) women? watch

Announcements

Just to make it clear I do not in any way think this is inappropriate. I've just noticed this quite a lot recently since I've left uni. I'm 23 as are a lot of my girl friends and most of them have found themselves a boyfriend between 28 and 34. Almost all of them!

I broke up with my boyfriend a few months ago so I'm new single when I started my new job a few months ago. I've had 2 people at work interested in me, aged 29 and 32, and I'm seeing one of them now. Obviously this is different to when I was at uni and everyone was 18-22.

I don't think I could be interested in a younger guy since they are often quite immature. I do prefer someone who knows what he wants in life, is settled in his career and secure in who he is. And this is more common in older men. They still like to have fun but not in the way of I'm-at-uni-and-can-drink-as-much-as-I-like-for-the-first-time-in-my-life.

So on the flipside- what is it about younger women that seems appealing to older guys?

I'm partly just interested in the answer and also mildly insecure about the older guy I'm seeing. It came up the other night that I've never had to sign for a bill or something silly like that but it just made me feel really young and silly.

ReputationRep:
    That's because younger women have a longer shelf life

ReputationRep:
    I'm younger than you are OP, but I do feel a lot of women aged 28 and above have a kind of bitter hatred of the world to the point i don't think I would want to settle down with someone so bad on the inside.

Anyone else?

I'm 29 and I'm personally fine with women around my age, the only problem is as you pointed out they tend to themselves prefer older guys, and I'm not very experienced either, so I'm not sure I'd be a first preference to many of them, which leaves me with women around the ages of 20-25.

What are your friends reasons for having boyfriends around the age of 28-34? Is it by accident, a coincidence or do they themselves specifically seek out guys in that age bracket?

What about guys your age who are within a year or two of you?

I hope when I'm 30 I'll like people around 23, otherwise me and my girlfriend don't have much hope (25 and 19 atm).

ReputationRep:
    when im 30 and have a great degree, job , beast car and life is going mint. id want a sexy young 23 year old girl, to have fun with and maybe then marry. some girls at 30 are used up hags, who have had plenty of **** non stop for almost all their life and wanna settle down to the next schmuk that comes along.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    Seemingly young, fun, exciting, pretty and also it more naturally lends itself to a sort of traditional relationship too

ReputationRep:
    Also women tend to mature faster than guys, so it could be more compatible for an older guy to date a younger girl.

ReputationRep:
    They still look good at that age, are more mature than the typical shrieking idiots a few years younger, and haven't yet become disillusioned with life.

ReputationRep:
    Youthfulness is a more attractive quality in females, younger females (post pubescent obviously) are more fertile and so it's an evolutionary thing for men to be attracted to younger women. I'd say older men are better able to provide in general than younger men as they're usually higher in the social scale and in their work lives and that's a quality that's attractive to women. The core aspects of human behaviour hasn't really changed that much since we first appeared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    I'm younger than you are OP, but I do feel a lot of women aged 28 and above have a kind of bitter hatred of the world to the point i don't think I would want to settle down with someone so bad on the inside.
    Pretty much. I like women my own age (24) but when it gets to around 28 the bitterness a lot of women seem to have is a bit much..

To answer the original question, its because a lot of these women are more mentally free, fun and optimistic about the future.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, we like younger than 23 too. *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    this is why women 30+ struggle to find men, because guys in that age bracket often prefer women a decade younger, and i seem surrounded by friends who are obsessed with finding "the one" at an early age so they don't end up having the problems slightly older women do (which i think is ridiculous) why latch on to your first boyfriend just in fear of never finding anyone else (it's especially common amongst the asian community,) get out there, live a little, explore your options, who you are in your late teens/early 20s isn't the same person you will be a few years down the line.

my sister is almost 31 and really struggling to find a man, she had her pick of them when she was younger but got messed around quite a bit, even she recommends finding a partner when you are younger because you are more adaptable to each other's ways and get to develop together etc.

i'm all for independence in your 20s rather than endlessly searching for relationships because that's when you're moulding your whole life and figuring out who you want to become, maybe that's why i'll be one of those bridget jones in my early 30s wondering where it all went wrong and bitter towards the attention younger girls get : D :cheers:

or i can just become a cougar

ReputationRep:
    Because 21 - 25 year old females are the best.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer younger men, less bitter and usually have their own hair. Have a longer shelf life.

ReputationRep:
    Although I currently have feelings for a 22 year old guy I met on my undergrad course (but trust me, that's not going to happen) as a 23 year old woman I do generally find older men (mid 20's to early 30's) more attractive because they have a certain maturity and they are just less naive and a little more cynical which I like. Having said this, if a guy my age is mature and has the qualities I'm looking for, I would be equally happy with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selfteaching)

or i can just become a cougar
    Works for me My boyfriend is 5 years younger and way better than any guy my own age or older that I've dated. At the end of the day it's about the person.

ReputationRep:
    A certain winsome, carefree quality more often—though not always—lacking in women my age, who are also less likely to share my utter indifference towards the idea of getting married and having children. That said, I do prefer a measure of self-sufficiency, so 25 or 26 is perhaps the ideal.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I think girls should fully embrace their sexual appeal and blossom asap otherwise once they hit 26+, guys their age and older will look at women who are waaaay younger than they are. They'll properly feel the rejection guys have been feeling since the age of 16+ :rofl: :rofl:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.