Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

This is my first post TSR. I am in need of some advice..
    I am seriously looking into starting a 6 year part time BA degree in Childhood & Youth Studies. I am 24 and work full time in an office environment and am a bit nervous about taking the leap.
    The reason I am only now considering university and not back when I left college is because I didn't know what I wanted to do back then.

I just wanted to see if any of you reading this has completed or is currently studying a degree with open university over a 6 year period and how you find managing the work load on top of full time work?

And also as it has been 6 years since I left college, how difficult did any of you find it getting back into learning and studying?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maisie91)
    Hi All,

This is my first post TSR. I am in need of some advice..
    I am seriously looking into starting a 6 year part time BA degree in Childhood & Youth Studies. I am 24 and work full time in an office environment and am a bit nervous about taking the leap.
    The reason I am only now considering university and not back when I left college is because I didn't know what I wanted to do back then.

I just wanted to see if any of you reading this has completed or is currently studying a degree with open university over a 6 year period and how you find managing the work load on top of full time work?

And also as it has been 6 years since I left college, how difficult did any of you find it getting back into learning and studying?

Thanks in advance.

I started studying with the OU last year. I chose to do an Open Degree, with my first module being psychology. I'd never studied psychology, so wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it. I'm going to change my degree to a named degree in Psychology and Counselling.

I found the workload completely manageable. I work as an English teacher, and have a part-time tutoring job in the evenings as well, but I find that even with two jobs, I still had no problem completing the work.

When you start with the OU, I feel they do a really good job of breaking you in if you haven't studied for a while. I was out of education for about 8 years when I started and found it perfectly doable.

If you're working full time and want to work towards a degree, I would definitely recommend it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.